The First: Rushmore and Registration
Eric and I just watched Rushmore. It's a charming dramedy from the people behind Royal Tenenbaums. It's funny, then it's sad and gets deflated in the middle, but it perks up for an interesting ending. ***/5.
I registered for school today. So my feet are wet in terms of school. So there's just no turning back now. I have to laugh at myself right now, because I have got to be the luckiest or unluckiest person in the world. As I've said before, I'm looking at the best semester ever. At the same time, my last semester ever in high school will therefore involve English, Writer's Craft, and Law. Tricky stuff to deal with on your way out. Then again, it's better to have an easy first semester, as I've experienced in the past. When my second semester was loaded with Humanities and Drama last year, I was going bonkers.
So I'm going into Grade 12. It's hard to believe. Sometimes it feels like it's still 2001, I'm still going into Grade 9, I'm still nervous. I've just gotten the hang of this "high school" thing and it's almost over. I think back to the early days and it's just hard to believe that it was so long ago. Maybe it's just my unwillingness to grow up. I think this means there's something fundamentally wrong with me. I've been thinking about Grade 8 a lot. That year really set the mold for what sort of person I've grown into - and that person is incredibly fucked up, but doing okay. That was the year I met Randi. That was the year I became a decent writer. That was the year I discovered my tendancy to use guerrella tactics to win people over. It was a weird fuckin' year. And it was almost 4 years ago. And I've barely changed. Actually, that's not true - I think I did change, in Grade 10, and then changed back. Or maybe it's more like a graph, and I'm back to the same place I was in Grade 8. Weird.
I just thought about everything I wrote in that above paragraph, and laughed. Funny how seeing my own insanity in writing cheers me up.
I added some new songs to the lyrics section. None of which I'm particularly proud, but they're part of my work so sI might as well flesh that oevre out by including them.
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of getting a girl. It's one thing that's not like it was back in Grade 8. I look back on that and laugh at what an awkward little nebbish I was. Over the past 3 years -- okay, over the past year... 6 months, really -- I've gained confidence. I'm better. Haven't I already said that elsewhere on this blog? Some previous post? Don't care. It's still true, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.
Sidenote: at registration last year, the girl, my own age, who gave out cards for the ID pictures had to ask what my name was. This year, same girl, she didn't ask. Funny.
Here's hoping this year works out. Keep on Rockin'
-Scotto

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home