B: She sings along, she knows the words
So I'm sitting here at Pratt not really having anything to say. It's 7 days into October and I haven't had much to talk about, at least not that I've felt totally completely sure I want to talk about. Maybe it's a sign I'm, like, outgrowing this thing (perish the thought) or maybe I just don't know what I want to say.
Most likely, however, is that my life has been rather dull lately. I've been throwing myself headfirst as much as I can into writing (re-writing) this play. I've got a lot of reading I really should be doing. I ride the trains back and forth. Life isn't a thrill but it's not a bummer either.
Last week we watched 2001 a Space Odyssey, which was long but not boring nor hard to follow. It was a truly amazing film despite the minimalistic plot and interpretive leaps it asked of the viewers.
Friday, prior to Beatles night, was my dad's birthday. Some of us (less me than my brothers) tend to forget what a sharp guy he is. We were talking casually about the American election and Sarah Palin and stuff. We were all kinda laying into her, when dad brought up something I'd never heard, some anecdote about how quick of a study she is. Of course he followed it up with "Then again, that still doesn't mean I'd vote for her." Of course not. She talks like a re-re. I mean, not because of her accent or anything, just the things she says are moronic. It's always like she was handed these talking points but didn't quite remember them so she re-connects the words in ways that don't make any grammatical sense. Also, she's fairly condescending.
You could probably level the same charge at Obama, but at least he doesn't alienate people (deliberately.) I always hesitate to call Obama "well-spoken" because apparently that's an offensive thing to say about a black man. As an innocent white guy who just wants to get along with people, I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. Okay, I eventually figured out that it implies that most black people aren't well-spoken, but that's not the point. Most people aren't well-spoken, including the people Obama is running against. Kennedy was well-spoken, Clinton was well-spoken, even Reagan was well-spoken (as an actor he ought to have been) and that was probably his main appeal.
Of course, maybe being a dynamic public speaker isn't really key for being a world leader these days. Without even going into a schtick about Dubya, I can't say I ever heard Harper say anything inspiring, and Cretien, whom I liked, didn't even have a functioning mouth or complete grasp of the English language. Given those facts he did very well for himself, since he basically kept getting elected until he decided he just wanted to go home and sleep.
No matter what country you live in, (speaking mostly to Americans and Canadians here) it's important to remember the state of the world, particularly world economics. I don't understand right-wing economics. They're a pox, man. The only way to get anything done is tax and spend, and I'll say it until I'm blue in the muthafuckin' face. Countries like France and those in Scandinavia have some pretty steep taxes but they get it back in quality of life. Don't trust a politician who wants to lower your taxes. It sounds good but it's no good for you. I know that's hard to sell people but it's the truth, man. But what do I know.
Sometimes I feel bad for young conservatives. It's like they've already given up on the future and only want to get as much lucre for themselves before the bottom falls out. Nothing romantic about that way of life.
With federal elections in Canada and the US both within a month, I'm hoping this may be the last I rant about politics, because we're all sick of hearing about it. I'm no political scientist. I'm just a regular guy who has a vote.
I have two hours or so until class. There's still not much interesting going on and I still have some reading to do. What a week, what a week.
I gotta buckle down.
Keep on rockin'
-Scotto

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home