6/11/2004

Chapter VIII: Give me a revolver and let me get it over with.

To whom it may concern:

Hey, what's up? Long time no see, eh?

The last full week of school has just ended, and we have a mere 3 days of school time left before FRRRRREEEEEEEEEDOOMMMMMMMM. I should be in such a happy mood right now, but anybody who knows me knows that that's fuckin' impossible! Instead I'm more bloated with rage than I have been at any other point in the year.

Most of this rage comes in the form of Drama. The dramatic summative, the puzzlingly titled "Mirror Game," is to be presented on Monday and we are less ready than I think any other group. I forfieted the possibility of doing a lunchtime rehearsal because I mistakenly thought it was important to run home and polish off bios and stuff for the two fuckin' plays I'm putting on. Ha ha, life's funny like that because Rosser scrapped that idea because nobody bothered with it. All my stress for nothing, added onto my feelings of anxiety about this goddamn play.

And my other goddamn play? I'm feeling confident about it. Regardless of the fact that, unless we crunch out a quickie rehearsal Monday after school, we'll never have even had a full cast rehearsal before our performance, I'm confident. How does that make any sense? No idea, but I've got a good feeling about that one. Or maybe it'll just look better compared to all the other plays that have had roughly two weeks to get polished. Either way, I'm no longer concerned about "Half-Past Eight PM."

Especially since I've got a new baby on the way. Last night, after much contemplation, I started writing my next opus, which is entitled "Funeral for a Freak." I wrote about 9 pages of story (plus a title page and two pages for character descriptions.) I'm not gonna give too much away about the story because it's not being done yet, but it is not like the film "Big Fish." Partially because I haven't seen it and partially because I wouldn't want to be compared to some Tim Burton movie. Not that I don't like Tim Burton movies, but this play is not that movie, okay?

It has a lot more swearing that "Half-Past Eight PM," and I'll tell you right now that it's because when I was writing "Half-Past," I did not know what words were off-limits. When I found out that my only limits were my imagination, I created new scenes where there were swearing, and also converted some "safe words" into expletives. Much of the swearing in "Half-Past" was an affected sort of swearing. This play features a character called Roger who curses a blue streak right through his scene.

That's another thing: there are scenes in this play, unlike "8 PM," which is one long scene broken up by certain characters' comings-and-goings (not to mention a flashback and a dream sequence.) This play will have an interesting set-up - half of the stage is an interior, and when they step through the door they play out flashback scenes. It'll require an expert lighting technichian, I'm sure. My first play was overly simplistic because I wasn't familiar with the limits - my second play is overtly complicated because I am.

I'm really excited about this play, and I hope we can get a similar cast for this one as "Half-Past." If Ryan and Doug are interested, I'm positive that there are roles waiting for them.

So... if "Half-Past Eight PM" is such a messy ordeal, then what on Earth could propel me to want to do another? No clue. I just like the idea of writing out a play and having people do their thing with it. Despite all the terrible stress this play has caused, I've had a good time and we've all learned some important lessons, so maybe next time the play will go even better than this time. Experience will have been on our side.

Now I'm going to go call the little lady of my life. Keep on Rockin'
~Scotto

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home