12/18/2004

XIV: Tell Me Why I Don't Like Mondays

I was reading today about the School Shooting that inspired Bob Geldof to write the Boomtown Rats' hit song, "I Don't Like Mondays." It made me think, man, I'd like to be involved in some incident that inspired the writing of a UK Top Ten hit and get an underground band some exposure. Is that... a weird thing to want?

Friday was the big Christmas assembly. It was a huge success, by all accounts. There were major laughs, particularly from Cary and Doug as Emcees (every time Doug yelled out "LED ZEPPELIN!" I did a spit take.) Also effective was my line about everyone "dropping out of the assembly," which prompted a good 10-second "ooooooooo!" from the seniors of the audience. The highlight had to be the chef program, though, which, being Improv, has the ability to captivate the audience better than a scripted skit. (I guess when Mrs. Davidson said "We're not going going up there and doing Improv," she was, well.... lying.) The pop from the crowd when Andrew caught that cherry in his mouth was incredible! I mean, it might've been more conventially funny if he missed, but it was so unlikely and in-the-moment that it worked best. And the whole deal came together really well. My only regret is that it wasn't a huge blowout like most years (because they normally had more than 11 people.) and that it fell apart right at the end, losing momentum with a weak last joke (people reacted negatively to Steffi's cancelling of the Christmas Song, thus disproving her theory,) and though Nolan's "If it's that 500 Miles Song I'll Kill Myself!" got a huge laugh, the last memory people will have of the assembly was that the Mic fucked up and the teacher band couldn't play on cue (I suspect it was Jesse Cree's fault even if I can't prove it.) So that was that.

In the end, we put together a pretty good show, doing the best (or better) with what we had and were allowed to do. It was a sort of comeback story and it really put me in a good mood for the Christmas break (although all this commericalization based on a central theme of Xmas is really sarting to nauseate. How do the Jewish put up with it??)

I had a little tiff with Josh over the phone. It wasn't much, but we're finding it really hard to execute these last few shots for the movie. At one point he suggested we try to get some shooting done on Christmas Day, and when I tried to explain why that wouldn't work, well... he had to advise me "There's no need for swearing." And he's right, I was a little tightly wound. But imagine, having to be ripped apart from my family on Christmas Day to go shoot a movie. I can't even begin to summarize everything that's wrong with that. For starters, mom's already got it out for me since I missed the last 3 major Family events (Cameron & Alexandra's Christening for Bowling, Eric's Birthday for Ernest tech run, and Fake Christmas [or "Farcemas"] for Shooting.) The LAST thing I need is to miss Christmas (my Aunt even said to me after I apologized, "Just make sure you keep the 25th open!") Yeah, so Christmas day was definitely a no. But we worked it out.

As for today, I'm enjoying my nice relaxing Sunday early evening, waiting for dinner. I am really, really hungry and I can't wait to eat. I think that about sums it up.

Happy Holidays and Keep on Rockin'
Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home