9/15/2006

E2: How history used to be

I'd forgotten this feeling. The Friday feeling. I don't have to explain it. It's the tiredness that I didn't expect, though, weary after a long week.

The mounting little frustrations are really starting to chip away severely at the stone resolve of my coping ability. I've got a lot of my mind lately. Between trying to decipher whether or not I might be getting a job, keeping up with assignments/classwork, computer woes both with the Mac and the PC, home troubles and internal turmoil, life ain't grand for ole Scotto. I'm trying, yeah, as much as I ever do, but you know it ain't easy.

Today was World History. Leslie managed the astonishing task of tackling 1500 years of human history in a 3 hour class as prologue to the next 13 weeks which cover a mere 100. Seems a bit imbalanced, but the class ought to be good. I've been a bit of a history guy for a while, particularly since Ancience Civs. What can I say? I tell people, "History is the ultimate story," y'know?

One week down, 13 left. To think, the weeks passed much more quickly when I had nothing to fill 'em with. But if you spend all your time bemoaning the passage of time... well shit mang, time ain't gonna pass at all. Complaining about slowness of time is a temporarlly intert activity. It causes time to slow to a near standstill while you're doing it, because fuck man, don't you have anything better to do than complain about how slowly time is going by?

I've recently -- as of this post -- discovered that I may be prone to sudden vitriolic outbursts wherein I intersperse vocab words with profanity. Fuckin' garrulous and shit. Maybe it's time to settle down.

Much to the assured dismay of many of my friends, Richard Karn has been replaced as host of the Family Feud. I did some probing into the issue (much like a real reporter might,) and found that many "old school Feud Fans*" felt he was doing a bad job, or at least not honoring the Richard Dawson position, what with his folksiness and bearditude.

*If you have the time or energy to consider yourself an “Old School Fan” of Family Feud, I lament your life’s lack of meaning. As much as I appreciate the Family Feud, I was blessed with enough perspective to know that registering every little complaint about the person hosting that show doesn’t rank high on the priorities.

The new host is John O’Hurley, whom you might remember as Elaine’s off-beat boss J. Peterman at the catalogue which bore that name on Seinfeld. Of late, he had been seen as an example of what kinds of Stars get to be on “Dancing with the Stars.” I remember him as the host of To Tell the Truth, a show which hit and miss and deservedly cancelled not long after its revival. He has a quality that makes him sound very smart and self-assured. I don’t know whether or not he really is smart, but he’s good at sounding like it, which is a decent quality in a game show host. I liked Karn, though. He was friendly and warm and yelled every now and again; a man of the people, exciteable.

But, given the topic of two paragraphs ago, it looks like I’ve just got to shrug it off. Karn had a good run. They don’t get second chances. Richard Dawson got to come back, but he made the show. Ray Comb didn’t get a second chance.

I want to be able to write. I haven’t gotten any decent writing done in a while, and it’s almost time for that. However, my ideal writing conditions have me isolated from the world via headphones, and the headphones hasten freezing. And when the computer freezes every 47 seconds, it’s difficult to get a satisfactory level of writing in. Hence the ole dilemma. And the Mac just isn’t equipped to handle anything other than basic web browsing and music-playing.

Life’s full of roadblocks. In time, you might find your route.

Keep on rockin’
-Scotto

1 Comments:

Blogger h0ar said...

Richard Karn has been replaced as host of the Family Feud?!?! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I'll miss him... and I miss watching the show with you and the 'lunch gang' already :( . Say hi to them for me if you see them? Aw, I do miss you. Hope you are doing well, and having a beautiful sleep as I type. *hug* Bye for now,

roybn ;.

3:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home