3/22/2007

M: More secrets than you could tell

It's funny that, as you move along in your life, the events that, early on, seemed so significant and life-altering, become smaller and less significant. That as you move futher along and examine the tapestry of your life, the smaller threads tend to blend together. I've been hving flashbacks lately, which probably speaks to how boring life has gotten on this end.

I'm listening to Aerosmith's 2001 album, Just Push Play (which spawned the hit single, "Jaded.") I haven't listened to it in years, and only recently crammed it onto my iPod. However, listening to it brings up some serious memories. You know how certain songs bring back certain places, moments, emotions. Well, I bought this album during the Grade 8 Quebec trip way back in 2001, and it became the soundtrack of a very angsty, miserable summer.

Many of the events of the time seemed earth-shattering, and for the life of me I couldn't tell ya why -- or even what was quite going on, either in my life or my head. As we all know, life goes on. And that's something I don't think I grasped back then, nor do I seem capable of grasping to this day. But I ain't that awkward creepy kid no more.

For the record, while it's not a terrific album, Just Push Play was a good effort, with more good tracks than bad. The good tracks aren't great, and the bad ones aren't terrible, it's like a 3 out of 5, all things considered. Better than Nine Lives before it, not as enjoyable as Honkin' on Bobo (an album entirely of blues covers) after it. Steven Tyler said it's among his least favourite, which is understandable, but they were trying something new which is usually difficult for a band that had been active for nearly 30 years at the time. I do not, however, approve of their oversaturating the market with compilation albums with singles on them. It was nifty back in '94 with Big Ones' Walk on Water & Blind Man, but despite singles like Girls of Summer and Devil's Got a New Disguise, they haven't had a legitimate hit record of original material in over 5 years. Thankfully, the rumour is they've been back in the studio to record a new album for fall 2007; I'm excited for that.

Today was... such a mind-numbingly tedious day it'd be a crime to even attempt to detail it. Haasim and I did some very good work on our PowerPoint presentation. We all listened to a tax guy give insights on running one's own finances. The weather fluctuated like hell (although since I was inside anyway, what does it really matter?)

It was so refreshing this morning when it was like, all warm and stuff. Then it had to get extremely rainy and cold. Dreary, relaly. Yep, that's spring.

This has really been one of the most atrocious entries I've ever done, in terms of how boring I'm finding it to write. They can't all be gems, I suppose, but something utterly fascinating had better happen tomorrow, to erase the shadow cast by this morose little bit of business.

Keep on rockin'
-Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home