Chapter 14: That pretty face of yours means nothin' but trouble
It's been a kinda stressful couple of days for a procrastinator like myself. Long story short, it's been a busy paper-writing time for yours truly. Short story long, I put off my English paper Sunday night because I was dog-tired from work and couldn't muster up the enthusiasm for the subject matter (Biblical intertext in Green Grass Running Water) or fear of losing marks for lateness to counterbalance my laziness. Moral of the short and long stories: I'm getting some bad habits when it comes to due dates.
Due dates were nothing to sneeze at at Sheridan. You either had your story done on time, or you didn't have a story that week. 'Nuff said. That was of course amidst all the other papers and assignments to go with out courseloads. Frankly it wasn't hard writing 2000 words about that book. It was just hard wanting to. Call it self-sabotage if you will, I call it just being practical. In my best interests? Maybe not, but I slept like a baby that night.
My last paper is one into which I have already tunneled about 1,000 words deep of a 2,000-2,500 word limit. It's comparing the Matrix and Dark City. I could write a book about that, given the resources I'm forced to include. As it is, my own rambling thoughts are plenty to fill that quota. But I'm not allowed to just ramble, I have to include other peoples' thoughts - professional bullshitters to go along with my amateur hobbyist bullshit. Interesting factoid: "Intertext" gets a red line from Firefox, but "Bullshitting" does not. I need to cite 6 books and 6 other analyses. I can't just write about the films, I have to write about people who have written about the films. Tedious.
So I've got 1,000 words and I've hardly cited anyone, except H.G. Wells in a review of Metropolis, which isn't even the movie I'm technically writing about. Go figure. Oh, I also cited Roger Ebert, as I always do, because he's a terrific source and nobody's told me I couldn't. The paper's due tomorrow. I'm going to polish off the bulk of it in the three hours before class, in the Innis Computer Lab, using the books that are for in-Library use only. This bad boy's gonna be a monster. (In case you're wondering, I finished my Canadian Lit essay under similar circumstances.)
Anyway. After having coffee with Amanda on Saturday - and meticulously deconstructing my love life and the complications thereof - I got my haircut. It'd been many months, I seem to be dragging it out longer between cuts, even though I like my barber and want to give her more business. She's always so pleasant, remembers my name and certain things about me, and the chitchat between us isn't awkward because of that familiarity. I've never been displeased with the job she's done... all seem to agree it's a good cut.
I'm also remembering why I grew a beard over the summer... because I'm just too damn lazy to shave regularly. It's coming back in and I really don't want it. Sigh.
And that's my life right now. Paper, work, and haircuts. Soon all that school work is done with and I can focus on the rest of my world. I'll probably sleep good and late Friday, rather than actually going to school.
There is a Can Lit test next week I am super-unprepared for. given I've only read one and a half books in the course thus far, it's a bit, uh... awful. Again, yes, my scholastic initiative is waning. Wasn't my new year's resolution once to be a better student? I guess that wore off after May. I guess I'll set the same one this year too.
No wonder I lost that scholarship.
Enough self-pondering tonight. I have to make tomorrow's lunch and get my well-deserved rest.
Keep on rockin'
-Yer Scotto

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home