Round 5: Shtick and spiel
So, it's been a busy few days. Between avoiding studying, avoiding the numerous personal duties I've set up for myself, working, and watching Lost season 4, I've had a fair amount on my plate.
I should get to those reviews, those nbW segs, that storywriting... still haven't submitted to the Hart House review. I'm so easily distracted. I oughtta devote some time to my Sci-Fi exam. I'd like to pass, but I feel so apathetic toward it. I'm just... mentally done with it. Contemplating dropping a class next semester. Not a yearlong class (goodness no, I've put in too much effort already) but a half-credit one so I can focus on the courses I'm already committed to. I've already consigned myself to the idea that I'll take some summer courses at some point.
A few interesting days at work. When I was working Friday night, I was asked to cover a shift for a fellow temp. I obliged, having been assured that rather than the initial shift of 3-midnight it was 6-midnight. Cool. So I went to work yesterday and kinda bummed around, doing whatever random work there needed doing until close, and then henceafter restocked. I said it was an interesting few days at work but not because of what I did.
I arrived a little early, to find that all the payroll stuff had already been taken care off, meaning I couldn't punch in early. Since I wouldn't be paid for the next ten minutes, I sat around with Mandy and Gus. Mandy was listening to Joe Purdy, her iPod plugged into the speakers back there, and his playing reminded me of something. So I says to her, "Wanna hear something you've never heard before?" And she says yes, so I plugged mine in and set it to Mr. Joe Chammas, specifically Broken Heart Complex. She asked who he was, surmising correctly that he was a friend of mine. She got this dreamy look in her eyes during the first few bars and as he started singing, she just said, "Aw, can you give him a hug for me please?" Well, I won't do that, necessarily, but I will pass on that message via this blog. So there you are, Joey: an impartial listener who doesn't know you who likes your work. I went about my business and let her play through. Her final remarks were that she liked it, Mandy in particular, by some strange coincidence, and her only critical remark was that Last Goodbye was too upbeat. I think that's a valid assessment, but it offers a relief in pace because his songs do tend to be on the downtempo side and too many of those would be a slog. In particular, she also praised his guitar playing, and his voice for not being "cookie cutter."
After hours, I plugged my iPod back in and left it running while I went to restock, leaving no clue as to what I'd done - made a playlist of stuff not readily available at HMV, primarily the Coral, as well as the Beta Band, Solids, Electric Six, and Joe. Inquiring what she was listening to during the Coral, I told Mandy about them, and she nodded appreciatively, saying she liked it, and was surprised about their obscurity, because she's "heard of everything." She praised these contents of my iPod. I like to consider myself a connoisseur.
We have a fair bit in common, including an appreciation for Lost. When I mentioned I had just finished watching season 4, her eyes lit up, as she peppered me with her theories. We talked later about comics (or as she insistently called them, "graphic novels." She attempted to explain the distinction, when I interrupted her to say she didn't need to speak to me like that) and I told her a bit about Y: The Last Man. She's quite a character - although as it is generally acknowledged, utterly insane. Fun times.
So today I tried to relax while I could, do some errands and other stuff... had to decorate the Christmas Tree, which is one of those things, like Jack O'Lanterns, I'm expected to do (although to be fair, all three of us took part.) The result was kinda ghastly and I'm pretty glad we are having Christmas in Toronto.
I'm feeling a little ill, but hopefully will be able to balance rest with studying and my other stuff this week. Hurm.
Oh well. I still feel pretty good about life. For a few weeks, I had a cut on my lip that kept re-opening when I'd eat a burger or a sandwich or something. When we were having coffee on Saturday (as always) Amanda suggested I find some kind of lip balm. I went to Shoppers and got a fairly gender-neutral polysporin brand and it's worked considerably well.
So keep on rockin'
-Scott

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home