105: Sharks and dolphins
So it begins.
I started my summer courses today. It's a little overwhelming at this point. Right now it's 5 consecutive hours in class. By the end of the first class I'm squirming. By the halfway point of the second I'm both anxious to leave and hungry. I ducked out at 8:30. This may become the routine, although it's not necessarily the most beneficial to my learning experience.
There is going to be a lot expected of me in a very brief timespan. The 6-9 class lasts only until mid-June. This is both good and bad in that by the end of that month I'll be able to relax a bit more as my other class gets more busy, but it also means I've got a lot to cover in only a short time for the shorter class. A lot of readings being thrown my way. As I am likely to do, I already missed the first set because I didn't bother to check what was up on Blackboard.
Short-term pain for long-term gain, that'll be the motto this summer. To think, a year ago I was painting houses.
The nice thing about never having anything important to do before 4 PM (consequently, I have to at least make the 2:30 train) I can feel comfortable staying up to all hours of the night. The problem with this being of course a lack of motivation to really do anything much. I've got one of my stories open and I'm profoundly uncomfortable with the state I last left it in. I wrote some stuff I really intended to heavily revise, and left it. Now I'm not sure where to go. Oh me. Only I could have this problem (amongst people I know, anyway.)
What I'll probably do is devote myself to more tangible concerns. Drawing seems like a good idea. People actually read my comic. Not a lot of people, and nobody I don't personally know, but they are there reading it, so that's the same.
I really want to get this book done though. I was very close several years ago, but eventually I said "I hate this" and hit reset. How far can I get without hitting reset this time? And will it be any good. My problem seems to be I'm too easily influenced. No attention span. I can't go a week without reading something new and thinking "I wanna write like this!" For about two days I wanted to transform Half-Past into "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" until I realized the two plays are complete opposites.
I'm too tired to keep going like this though. I just re-read some stuff I wrote a few years ago and while I'm feeling a bit tired to be getting at the typing tonight, it's put me in a good frame of mind, hopefully for tomorrow.
Keep on rockin'
-Scott

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home