Nine: Keep me in mind
So, I worked my first HMV shift today.
It was good. The day went by smoothly, we were mostly re-pricing. Despite being there from 9 (two hours before opening) until a little after closing, and doing a rather mundane task most of the time, there was nothing grueling about it. It's good to be back; there are plenty worse ways to make my wages. Manda jokes about our whole graduating class working in Oakville Place. She's got a point. Of course, I can't speak for Andrew or Perrin, but I'm still in school. But like I said, if I weren't, there's plenty worse places to be.
That said, I am a little sad it won't be like the past. I decided, walking home, that pretty much everything changes sometime. Even things that don't change themselves are changed by the things that do. Time marches on. The Mona Lisa is regarded as a beautiful piece of artwork nowadays, but it was perceived very differently in Leonardo's time when it went by its original title, "Stupid Ugly Bitch from Upstairs."
I miss Mandy. Try as I might to get at the idea without outright saying it, she really brightened my day when I worked with her. She was fun, and I was fun around her. And she dug my taste in music. Not that I have anything against the people I'm working with now, of course, they're all pretty cool folks, but I permit myself a certain amount of nostalgia. It's jsut one of the things that have changed. No more Mandy, no more Fieldhouse or Cooper or Aryn. Taylor's still there, and still more or less the Dwight to my Jim.
But I think I will be enjoying myself plenty this time around anyhow.
Still trying to straighten out this play. There is so much potential here I don't want to overdo it. A lot of the problem with my recent writing has been overindulgence, I think. A lot of my approach to Half-Past was restraint. In my recent writing I tend to get too carried away stray too far from my initial vision of the premise.
I've been watching Freaks and Geeks, on a website Amanda recommended for me to watch shows on. (Cough.) The show didn't have a ton of big laughs, it was quietly funny and very honest. I have a tendency to re-watch it in the Fall, it just has a very fall-feeling to me. I also want to re-watch Undeclared, which I remember as being more directly funny.
Anyway. Part of me wants to write something quiet, with some laughs and some heart. Part of me wants to crap all over the idea of emotional honesty and make as many dick jokes as possible. There's probably a middle-ground there, where my actual writing resides.
This entry hasn't gone as far as I'd have liked it to. My back is sore. I oughtta get to bed. more rehearsing tomorrow.
Keep on rockin'
-Scott

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home