1/01/2024

11:58 PM: Ne plus ultra

 Despite it already being New Year's day, I had started this post -- really just got as far as the title but still -- yesterday so I'm going to hold over last year's numbering scheme for one more just so I don't have to come up with another one on the spot (yes, that's a challenge I keep giving myself.)

We are now at the end of our busy lazy holiday season. Yesterday was our overnight trip. As is usual, the leaving and travelling was not without its stresses, but we left roughly on time, maybe a half-hour later than we probably would have liked. In the craziness of packing I forgot my pajamas and some jeans for the next day but these are ultimately things one can work around -- at least I didn't forget my swimsuit again. Mel drove, and it was nice, except that my phone reception conked out so I couldn't keep playing the playlist, but I did have the albums I downloaded to the phone. We were very fortunate there was no major delay on the road. I feel like back when I was a kid things were always being delayed but it's rare to experience as an adult -- maybe it's just that we don't go anywhere ever.

So it was an hourlong drive, roughly. Mel took the highway. We got there and the place -- the Elora Mill -- was on this very narrow street that was hard to negotiate, and there was a gate that made us think it was not for parking, so we had to circle around and then call them to ask what was up. Turns out you go to the gate and the bellman will help you. Schmancy. We got in and our room wasn't ready, which was too be expected, so we left our bags with them and headed to the spa. We got to enjoy the amenities, particularly the hot tub and also the heated pool. It was a cold day of course, but that really helped the vibe.

The massage was brilliant. There was some awkwardness because they got us set up then left us a moment and I realized, "Oh, we're supposed to be naked for this, right?" That seemed correct but you don't want to be naked when you're not supposed to be. I only had my damp swimsuit on at this time so nudity was definitely preferable if permitted. It was very, um, rejuvenating, shall we say. At times intense, and at times in a good way, eyebrows eyebrows.

After that they led us to a relaxation room but we couldn't relax very much because we were starving, having not eaten since a small breakfast 5-7 hours ago. We should have gotten some food as soon as we got to the spa (they'll bring you food right by the poolside, you know,) but we got caught up and besides it was a little hard to track down the server. Anyway, when we did, he obliged, and we had fries in the lounge area, although we could have taken them to the pool.

More hot tub, then we tried the sauna, which Mel determined was not her thing. By that time it was roughly time to go anyway so we headed out and went to our room.

Very luxurious. I told Mel it was the nicest hotel room we'd ever stayed in, by a lot -- and bear in mind Mel used to work for a luxury hotel chain, we just never got a really nice room there -- and my second-nicest overall since it would be hard to top the Presidential Suite we got to stay in at the Hyatt in Vancouver that one time when our room wasn't ready (it had two floors!) I had spring for a charcuterie board, which wasn't much for the money but we had to try it.

We showered in the extremely spacious shower stall, and enjoyed some non-alcoholic bubbly (we had asked them to bring it up in exchange for the champagne they had given us -- a good deal for them) then got dressed and went to dinner. Naturally it's very schmancy. It was around this time I was feeling somewhat dislocated, although I didn't bring it up to Mel. Part of it was feeling very out-of-place -- I don't know why, we were surrounded by other people probably in our same tax bracket that were treating themselves, but seeing all this opulence and decadence made me feel like I didn't belong, and part of it was a sad, creeping feeling that opulence and decadence, things we are conditioned to yearn for under capitalism, felt a little hollow compared to the simple pleasures of home. Maybe it's just me. But hey, it's one damn weekend of my life. After declining the steak dinner for 2 ($150 at MP) and the tasting menu ($125 ea) we ordered -- mushroom pasta with a short rib for Mel, lamb sirloin for me, along with cocktails (a non-alcoholic pear-based one for her, "Under the Tree" for me, which was gin-based with cedar syrup and creme de menthe so it paired oddly well with the lamb, which was not intentional.) We ended up with some to-go containers and declined dessert -- oh we couldn't possibly -- and entertained the waiter's suggestions of what to do in town, not letting slip that it was time to go upstairs and sleep.

I made a tea for Mel and some decaf for me, but it was Nespresso which meant it was cold and not so good. We took a bath and did some reading, then turned in for the night. Mel asked me to turn down the A/C because it was so noisy, but that was, in fact, the rushing river below us (the Grand River, in fact.) WE eventually settled in, although I had my usual problem with hotel pillows (too cushy.) Mel had asked me, somewhat skeptically, if I had intended to bring my own pillow as I did when we went to Oshawa -- not so much that she doesn't approve but I think she was feeling self-conscious about how much we were packing. I elected not to, and regretted it a bit. I used my old trick of folding up a towel. Yeah, I really like a thin, stiff pillow, but not no pillow.

We had ordered breakfast in advance, which came at 10, but I let Mel snooze a while before we ate. She got up in time to enjoy it, and then for us to pack and go. I was only seriously in danger of losing one item, her shampoo, although we had to be very thorough. We took a few pictures before departing -- and we realized we had left the cards in the room, which isn't a problem but if you realize at the last moment that something was left behind, it could be awkward. Doesn't seem to have happened.

I drove home, using the backroads route akin to how we get to the trailer. Google Maps had us go down what becomes Brant, which we adhered to but in the future I'd prefer Guelph. After the drive I was feeling stiff and saying I already needed another massage. Mel rested and listened to her audiobook and nipped out to the grocery store for some green onions, which Melo had requested for our nachos, as well as some dessert cupcakes (which Mel appreciated but said she was kind of over. Noted!)

Our New Years was chill as planned. We ate the rest of the dinner as a snack. We watched more of The Americans as we had dinner, then played Farkle and had a Mario Party in our Robes, just narrowly beating the team of Mario and Yoshi who had freakishly good luck with rolls and star placement. We actually tied in stars but were awarded the win based on, I don't know, being human or having more coins I'm not sure.

More TV, some bubbly at (a few seconds after) midnight, and then, honestly, bed. That's how we do, and we like it.

Big hopes for the new year. 2023 wasn't everything it could have been but we spent it doing things we liked and working toward things we wanted so how can I complain?

Keep on rockin'

-Scotto

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home