3/08/2005

pg7: Poetry in Motion

So today didn't suck.

Yeah, that's weird, but I've actually been going around lately thinking blahhh life sucks. And yet today wasn't all that bad.

It started off bad; the knob on the hot wayer faucett was destroyed. Yes, destroyed - it's been problematic lately and apparently Eric figured he could fix it... but ended up destroying it. Go fig - smashing does not equal fixing. It still works, it's just hard to operate.

But on the plus side, Wuthering Heights is starting to make sense to me in English class.

On an unrelated topic, I had to write a poem today at lunch that I'd had all weekend and Monday to do. And Friday. So like, for 5 days, I didn't even glance at it. And yet I managed to get my first draft done over lunch.

I hate poetry. I ate lunch with Anisah today while she was working on the yearbook, and somehow the idea came up that I should submit a poem for the yearbook, and I said I'd try to come up with something. Ji-Sun came by at one point and agreed. Actually, she just had the same idea... which is weird. I have to admit, when people I hardly know request of my some kind of verse of the yearbook, I worry a bit about the reputation I might have.

So I tried to write this poem... and poetry is hard. Thanks to the poetry we've been reading in Writer's Craft lately, particularly Leonard Cohen's "For Anne," I've been trying my hand at shorter free verse, as opposed to a lot of what I used to do (back when something meant I had to write poetry,) which was usually stuff that rhymed and was longer. I came up with a bunch of different poems, and a lot of them are bad, but most of them are funny. Yeah, I wrote almost 5 pages worth of short poems, none of which rhyme at all (in case you're the sort who thinks poetry has to rhyme.) I've decided that I'll give them the best one, and post the rest on Interneta someday.

Writer's Craft... Alyssa used to say that Guthrie really scared her, but apparently on Friday he pulled her aside and just gushed over this poem she wrote at the beginning of the semester. I wonder about mine. I've got to be honest, I've got some feelings of inadequacy in that class. Still, it doesn't hurt that he gave me my journal back today and wrote that my anecdote about my Bowling team was "well observed" (and in his own words that's "one of the greatest compliments" he can give a student.) On the other hand, of one entry about College applications (under "Decisions") he asked if the first paragraph was even necessary. And it wasn't - I just didn't know what I was going to write about and needed to get my train of thought rolling. I don't know if I've ever had a teacher who could catch that sort of thing.

(I just heard about Paul Martin trying to bring his "pal" Bono to Ottawa and I'm wondering if maybe he's trying to be like Trudeau or something. Then again, how well did hangin' with Rock Stars work for Trudeau? Mick Jagger banged his wife! Not that Bono ever would.)

I love Law Class, because not only do I get away with not doing homework, but since there's damn near 40 people in there, I can mostly just sit back and go unnoticed. I love that!

Rehearsal for the Breakfast Club today. I love this play because, dammit, it's the Breakfast Club. It's familiar, but we're all bringing forth our own interpretations. I'm not Paul Gleason and Shawn Crawford's not Judd Nelson so why try to duplicate their performances note for note? That's like trying to make Vanessa Reese Witherspoon and Cary Colin Firth. We're plenty good, man. If the cast ever gets together and actually has a full-cast full-length rehearsal where I only have to be Vernon, it'll be an excellent show.

I felt funny today. I dunno how it works out that there are days when I don't feel funny, but I was good today. I felt like me.

Keep on Rockin'
Scott
I just wish there was someone out there who couldn't live without me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home