8/21/2005

Onze: For my next trick...

Scotto Williams sells out, part II: Return to the Working World.

Just like last year, as the end of summer encroaches, I've been considering employment. Unlike last year, I feel prepared for any obstacles.

Here's what's been happening lately: last Friday night I was out for a stroll to the white store to pick up some snacks, when I passed an ad posted for "Canvassers needed, part time work" etc, etc. Knowing it was a bizarre chance for a decent paying gig, I took the number and left a message. The guy, Soheil, calls me back, and in his almost impenetrable Indian accent, gets me to negotiate my way into a job. The follow-up call, with the head honcho, Reino, was easier to understand.

At the end of the conversation, it became somewhat clear to me that I was out of my head. I had just agreed to go door-to-door raising funds, for a cause I don't know, for people I've just met and don't understand. This is something I don't want to do. I've got a meeting with them on Tuesday. I don't know if I'm going to take this opportunity.

See, here's the kicker. Earlier this evening, I got a call from Val, the head honcho (I don't know why, but I felt like using that one more than one in a single entry;) at Classic Bowl's youth program. She's recruiting major-division bowlers like myself for employment, an opportunity I feel I ought to take, although transportation seems like a bother. So I'm gonna call the manager, Ed, tomorrow and maybe set that up, to dave myself the embarassment of having to go door to door like some filthy beggar, peddler, or solicitor. Instead, I reckon I'll be a pin monkey, working behind the scenes at the lanes (which rarely seem to malfunction anyway.) "Then maybe," she says, "we'll train you on the counter." Sounds groovy.

I really like the idea of working at a bowling alley; inasmuch as it beats working as a fundraiser for little money at all. It's rapidly becoming clear that I've reached a point in my life where I can't really keep on being unemployed. Yet, with my reluctant nature, I've always kind of avoided those typical "fries with that?" jobs.

Then again, I don't really like the idea of being a working man, much less the concept of the process of becoming said working man. Still, it had to happen sooner or later, and I'd rather do something I like (bowling alley,) than something I don't (canvassing.)

I'm just going to have to let them down easy, since they really seemed hopeful.

In other news, production has been running along smoothly, and I've got a plan in place for tomorrow's shoot. That only leaves a few shoots left. I think it's going to turn out that the very last shoot involves the same two people as the first; Doug and Lauren. Hah, fancy that.

Everything seems to be coming together. Not just in the production, but in life. Apart from my moviemaking explots finally going as planned, and my own employment seemingly imminent,, Mom's got her boarder locked down, and I've got more confidence in my educational future than ever. At some points in the year, this blog I feel like a perennial loser, a virtual sad sack, but things look so good from here. I just need to keep my focus and I can actually accomplish something.

Just think, there have been times in the past month when I wondered why I was bothering at all and what was the point and now, now the stench of that decay in morale has been quite lifted, extinguished by my recent combination of good fortune and foresight.

All is well.

Keep on rockin'
-Scotto

PS: Last night was a gruelleing late-night shoot-session that saw us go way past darkness at the terminus, and at one point or another, actually utilizing Eric's wide angle and telephoto lenses. It was a test of endurance into the night (okay, it was over before 1 but still, last week's party was all but over by then,) but also a great time. Alyssa brought a terrific interpretation to Beth that I think will come across well in the completed version.

That is all. KOR-SAW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home