5/02/2006

Ch1: Where Alph (the mighty river ran)

The title is a line from the Coloridge (I think) poem, Xanadu. While studying it in Writer's Craft, I mused that it was "the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard." Somewhat facetiously, but it is quite a lovely poem, even if it is merely, as Mr. Coloridge claims, "a fragment."

A few days into summer break, and I'm just sort of mulling about in a daze. There is a lot of nothingness to discuss, including my ongoing search for employment (which I'm kind of getting shouldered into,) walking of dog, and the general malaise of summer.

As is customary, however, I am finding myself taking it slow, easing into it. The problem is that there's a fair amount to do and no desire to do it.

Today was a trip to the dentist. What a miserable experience. Historically I've regarded the dentist as a sort of inconvenience, with a bit of tolerance. I'm really starting to hate them, though, after today. It's a fairly dispicable form of life. Under the noble guise of dental care, they put on plastic gloves, jab your teeth with sharp metal implements, and have the nerve to tell you the reason why there's "a little blood," is because you're not flossing. They shine a bright light in your eyes and put substances in your mouth that will kill you if swallowed. Then, existing outside of Canada's supposedly high-and-mighty healthcare system, they stick you with a giant bill for their work. Only a masochist would consider it money well-spent.

So basically what happened was all of the above, and the usual Spanish Inquisition from the hygenist (which I totally expected, wink wink nudge nudge,) about my "sugar intake" as though she were my physician (she should be so lucky!) and I were a hyperglycemic. She accuses me of drinking too much pop (probably true) and candy (a little more far-fetched but I had had some gum earlier that day... although it was Dentyne Ice.) As I was leaving, she had the nerve to suggest I switch to Diet Coke... which I refuse, on the grounds that my overall health is more important than my dental condition, which is stable anyway. Aspartame is not particularly healthy; look it up. (Acesulfame Potassium, found in Coke Zero is healthier, but it tastes such that it's always paired with Aspartame anyway.)

The dentist himself made only a brief cameo, narrating a laundry list of jibber-jabber I couldn't hope to understand and likely wasn't supposed to which basically amounted to a catalogue of what was wrong with my teeth. In his entire guilt trip about all the stuff he's going to have to do at my next visit (May 25th... ecch,) the word "cavity" did not once come up, but I was still expected to feel guilty for having suffered "minor decay" it tiny little areas.

And that's why I feel the dentists are so low. Because under the guise of looking out for you, they grab your money and push their pro-Dental care agenda on you. In regards to my less-than-stoic dental health, he says, "I guess when you're doing so well you can afford not to be a saint all the time." (?!) Funny, because most of the saints lived in a time before dental care (and processed sugar, for that matter.)

I can only really trust a medical professional who doesn't double as a salesman.

And one's teeth generally feel infinitely worse after a visit to the dentist; which I think should be the opposite of any medical visit.

Annyway, that was my big dental rant. Nothing much else happened today. The strange saga of Emily continues as today she was hanging out with us while waiting for her laundry. That was... weird. I stayed on the computer while she and Eric sat on the couch, making idle chit chat. I think Eric's better and handling idle chit chat than I am, or at least has a better stomach for it. I have little patience for the small conversational necessities that certain situations require.

Things are progressing. Last night I finally caught up with Robyn, which was good. Though I wasn't able to provide much resolution to her seemingly chaotic life, I was at least there to listen. And that's a function I like to fill, because I spent so much time early in high school abusing the ear of anyone to listen, so this is my penance for that. My payback. I'm always willing to help somebody get something off their chest, even if there's nothing I can do (and oftentimes there's not, but maybe once in a while I'm good for advice. Even a clock that's broken and doesn't run, as they say...)

And now, as of yesterday (I failed to get an update today,) I have another friend whose life is on the rocks. Life rarely settles down to allow people to enjoy it.

We must all find our paths in darkness, but the light will eventually shine.

Keep on rockin'
-Williams, Scott

1 Comments:

Blogger h0ar said...

Lol, I've always loved a trip to the dentist, but I can see your point with the salesman aspect... And "...abusing the ear of anyone to listen, so this is my penance for that. My payback."? Thanks Scott... I'm sorry for being the one to give you your 'just desserts'. Oi, lol, hope to talk to you soon. Hey, I won't be there tomorrow... er, today, so I won't see you if you go :( , but maybe come to Chris's sometime again? Is this possible? I hope to catch up with you soon,

roybn ;.

1:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home