9/21/2006

E5: The only road I've ever known

I used to dislike the song from which the title came. "Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve (or was it the Verve Pipe? I always get tripped up on that.) For some reason, I found it annoying and melodramatic. I've since gained a bit more appreciation for it, perhaps thanks to Lukas' performances of it on Rockstar, but in general before that. A maturation of musical tastes.

A quick post tonight (in contrast to yesterday's, I suppose,) but in that vein something of an important one. Remember how I said, "I've still got a feel out to that halloween store, and if they still want to hire me, I'm going to jump off this Tim Horton's ship, presumably before I even get my first paycheck"? Well, strangely enough, that's exactly what happened when I e-mailed them and they asked to meet with me on Friday.

How is it that things seem to work out so well without my putting forth much effort? That they just fall into place sometimes?

Despite the fact that I had hoped it would resolve this way, I had no idea it would actually work. It was with substantial surprise that I read that e-mail. Funny how things keep happening unexpectedly. It's funny how the unexpected sometimes works to one's advantage. And yet you can't go around expecting the opposite of what you expect, because then what's unexpected will be expected and never really happen and you'll be back where you started, but worse.

Sorry. I had a point once, I swear.

Oh, right, work. Before getting the e-mail, I got dad's blessing. I had told him about it and he expressed sympathy, seemingly knowing that Tim Horton's isn't he best place to work. I guess James gave him the skinny when he used to work there. I told him I was still thinking about this mall place (apparently a kiosk -- fun) and he seemed to approve.

The plan will go ahead like this: I have to work tomorrow. That's a given. On Friday, I will come to the kiosk and see if this thing is going through. If that's the case, I will promptly inform MaryLou and Maureen of the unfortunate turn of events* and proceed to work at the mall until Halloween, at which time I will have accumulated enough money to be financially well-off for... oh, I don't know, a few weeks? A month? I'm not a big spender. After all, I've been out of work for 9 months, never once dipped below the red line.

*Naturally, I have to come up with some kind of spin, or perhaps even outright lie, that doesn't make me look like a jerk. I'm thinking a good way to start is, "I know this seems very sudden." In the end, there might be no way to make a clean break from these people, but it's going to be done, goshdarnit. This is the way things have to be.

So that's the story for today. I'll let you know how things work out when it's all sorted out.

Beyond that, today was a fairly uneventful day. It was the day I'd promised myself on Tuesday. Good times.

Things are looking weirdly good. I'm cautiously treading onto this uncertain ground. Wish me well.

Keep on rockin'
-Scotto

2 Comments:

Blogger h0ar said...

I'm glad to see you turning to the side of the kiosk... just make sure they pay you!!! ;p

... I still haven't been payed yet... and I did work in Mississauga :( , heh.

You're gonna rawk the kiosk world awesome,

roybn ;.

2:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man,

Bittersweet Symphony is by The Verve.

The Verve PIPE did a fantastic song (which I'm sure you're aware of) called The Freshman.

3:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home