x10: There's no-one watching over them
So I'm sitting here in class. Well that's not true. I'm in the classroom. The teacher's not here, and neither are any of the students, so it's not a class. And that's not really true either. There's me, and there's this Korean or Chinese guy. We're sitting all the way across the room from each other and I don't want to talk to him.
It happened about a year ago in my History and Politics class when Stephen Jarrett got sick and didn't show up, and we all eventually left, me being one of the last. I figure the same thing has happened to Catherine, my Poetry Analysis teacher. It doesn't matter now if she eventually shows up. Everyone who was here (and there were sufficient numbers for a class at one point) has long since left, like a half hour ago.
Or it could be the rain screwing with traffic, or maybe it's a combination and she gave up trying to get here. But it's a three hour class and I have nothing better to do.
The point is, it's rainy as hell and I don't ant to go home yet, so I'm sticking around. In a little while I may transition down to the newsroom, get some lunch, take a nap, who knows. For now, I realized I didn't write an entry last night, so I could do that here and now. I wonder if I'd want to stay longer if the Chinese guy weren't here. Or if I'd left already, and we're having some unspoken contest to see who is the bigger loser for staying in the friggin' classroom.
I'm resenting Bileski, my Newsroom Without Walls teacher right now. I don't hate him, especially since he's such an easy marker, but I resent that he made us start blogs to put our videos online. So yay for me, I started another fucking blog. I already have Interneta/SWP, a LiveJournal, a Mindsay, Myspace, Facebook and whatever other shit I got suckered into signing up for that I never ever ever have ever used ever... never. So you can check that out at this link. Take note of "No Project," which got me an 8 or 8.5 even though it has nothing to do with news.
But the big story is obviously that I worked last night, finally, my first shift at HMV (which I found out through my dad randomly guessing and then, yes, Wikipedia confirming, actually stands for "His Master's Voice.") It was quiet and uneventful, among the better of my first days on the job. There was a lot of walking around putting shit where it belongs/stowing it, but my main deal is cash. Thankfully, despite not having worked a register in a month and a half (and even then only ever having done it twice,) it all came back and I got through the day without any significant fuckups. I got to know better the people working there. The one who was mostly in charge of me, Lindsay, was probably a little thin on patience for my newbie ways, but seems cool enough that when I start to really get it it'll be fine. i think I had this same issue back at Classic Bowl with Natasha, how she really seemed to ate me at first but eventually I was the one she apparently didn't hate (I assume, since she complained about pretty much everyone else behind their backs -- but for all I know she dd the same to me. And they deserved it.)
Where was I? Oh yeah, HMV. So now my legs are all tired from standing around all day. I guess I lost my endurance over the year. It'll come back as I pick up more shifts though. Wait, did I say "all day" a second ago? Not really man, it was only four hours I was there. So that's a whopping $30 in my pocket before taxes. Uh... yeah. Oh well, it'll pick up.
Is there a more obnoxious medium than radio? I don't think so, since the entire point is to play loud noises to catch the ear, and hire obnoxious people to keep them listening. There are probably some good DJ's out there, but I'm not hearing any Dr. Johnny Fevers. And the ads, don't even go there man. Radio ads are the worst.
I had this whole rant in my head yesterday about Mac computers after hearing a glowing endorsement from some of those non-Johnny Fever DJ's, because it bothers me when people brag about their computers, Mac or PC. But Mac people seem to do it more and with more enthusiasm. A PC fan will say, "Dude, I've go so much RAM and my harddrive is huge" and whatever other technical stuff they rattle off about. These people on the other hand just brag about how easy to use the Mac is and how cool the widgets are. I don't know, man, my weather widget says it's gonna be 17 today, 19 tomorrow, 20 over the weekend. Somehow, I doubt it, and the Weather Network appears to agree. And yes, I've made sure my widget is set for Oakville Ontario and celsius.
Anyway, that was the gist of the rant. I don't defend my computer... especially my personal computer. It sucks, but I'd rather use it than the Mac. That's my personal preference. Joe and I have had this discussion a few times and have come to an agreement: there's no perfect computer. Macs suck in their way, PCs suck in theirs. For instance, the wireless card in this thing is shit, but my brother has never had trouble getting online with his laptop.
So here I end the rant. I've been typing the better part of a half an hour and conclude with the notion that sparked this blogging anyway. The teacher's not coming. It's still too soon to go home though, so I'm gonna relocate to the newsroom.
Keep on rockin'
-Scott

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home