X: Treasure Hunters and Ghost Circles
This won't be a long entry, because absolutely nothing happened today.
I woke up this morning and took a glance at the clock... it was 2:30. I laughed aloud to myself with joy that I slept for 11 hours completely uninterrupted. This hasn't happened since anytime I can honestly remember, although my memory of my own life isn't that great... hence, perhaps, why I've been so dilligent with this blog since its inception.
But the point is, with school recently and back to my summertime fascination with being up at 9 (supposedly but futilely to make myself more productive,) my sleep hadn't been what I'd normally want. I'll admit, I'm not going to make it a habit sleep 11 hours every night, but the alarm is definitely staying off for the next three weeks (except, perhaps ironically, on saturdays for bowling.)
I said I was intending on catching up on writing today, which I did not. I mostly bummed around, ran an errand or two, played video games, ate, and just zombified. I got really into some blog fiction, which is perhaps the best use of blogging I've yet seen, I'm not going to lie. And it might be my next project, given that I've conquered* comics, short stories, novels, poetry, screenplays, stage plays, greeting cards, reviews, news writing and whatever else.
*A relative term, I mean basically I've worked in it and produced at least something I'm comfortable with.
So look for that. My original idea was to take my long-since abandoned Metaworld story and give it a facelift and refresh, but I'm probably just gonna let it be dead for now. I've got other ideas to resurrect. I know, I'm horrible... I can't stay with any one project too long unless I have someone standing over my shoulder telling me to finish. Anyway, it's not out of the question, but I've got something else I'd like to try for now.
I'm not working all that much this week. Maybe it's a balance thing... so many people booked so much of last week off that I maybe got overworked (3 8-hour shifts in a row? Yeah...) and now that it's the vacation for us of the college age (as far as I know there's at least one high schooler among us,) th eothers are getting more booked and I'm just doing a couple of nights. I took Shane's Friday night shift, after declining to take a shift tonight. I declined partially because I didn't want to work 4 days in a row for any reason at all, but also because I was bitter about not being able to unload Friday's shift.
But I took Shane's because I think that of all the regulars, he's been the coolest around me. That stems, perhaps, from the fact that he confirmed something that had been bouncing around my head for weeks. His name. I thought I recognized it and placed it, but couldn't be 100% certain. I would've asked him but when you say that and it's a "No" you look like a bit of an ass. so a few nights ago I turn around and see him and he just says, "You were in my grade 3/4 class weren't you?" I give him a tap on the shoulder and say, "That's where I know you from!" It was a split class, and even though looking at the two of us it seems the opposite, I was in the year above him.
I have thoughts on the other people I work with... I mean, who doesn't? ...but there are so many people that maybe I shouldn't run them down on the blog. Some of them are favorable, some of them are not (although less than you'd think.) some are just awkward.
I guess my big objective for my few shifts this week is to just not fuck up at all. Generally speaking I can make it all day with only one serious "Mike, I fucked something up" moment, but it's been a month or whatever so it's gotta stop. (I know this, because that was the exact wording used during my one and only fuck-up yesterday, "Scott, this has gotta stop." I felt bad, but didn't blame him and resolved to try harder.) I wasn't even on my own register, and the guy whose it was wound up with a mountain of paperwork, just because that's the one people came to for all their returns (given it's closest to the door so they make a beeline.) In the same vein as "I fucked up," I maybe feel a bit more guilty about saying "I need you to do a return," even though that's nothing to get stressed about, since it's completely outta my hands. Is it my problem if someone doesn't like their copy of Pirates of the Carribean? Nope. Just, "Let me get someone to help you."
Do I think I stand a chance of getting asked to stay? Not really. Maybe they don't need the need the help, and if they do, there are at least two or three of the temps who are instantly more qualified, and maybe a few more who are equal.
Next week, Mark (*known amongst all my friends as "The HMV Guy," with the long hair,) is doing some holiday service at the store. I'll admit, when I got hired, I was a little upset that I never got to meet him, since apparently he went off to school. Now that I know I'll be working with him... well, the pressure's on, I suppose.
Haha, not really, but yeah.
Lordy, it's so not Christmas around here. I never lose my faith that it'll snow by christmas, but it's looking grim. And if it's not snowy on christms, then when is snow any good? Feh... global warming.
Goodnight everyone, and keep on rockin'
-Scott

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home