11/27/2007

Chapter 14: A pocketful of fish

It was one of those unusual days. Off-putting and weird. Given how bored I'd grown with the blog I may just be grasping at straws, but maybe I needed this. As the title suggests, today involved, but did not revolve around, a pocketful of fish.

It began, like most days, with a dream. The details of the dream have faded by now, but there are some strong points I can recall. The bulk of the dream concerned a triple-date. I was going someplace with two couples and had asked along this girl. This was a girl from my past. I've been writing about my life for NaNo (technically against the rules - shh!) so she must've settled into my consciousness. I raced around Union Station searching for a single rose for her. Whereas in real life, after a while she wanted nothing to do with me, in the dream she was merely totally uninterested in me. In fact I had lost track of her and gone off on my own adventures before returning to try to impress her with the stories of the adventures I'd just had.

There was far more to it, like I said, the details faded as all dreams do despite the feeling remaining. It was the most romantic dream, downer as it was, that I've had in a long while. It was the first dream I've remembered in a while, and the first in much longer where I remember feeling something.

I got on the train, reading through Faulkner, and the day proceeded in a haze. I had a crappy fast food lunch and was in kind of a funk through the lectures. There was a funny moment during Astronomy. Ray J. hates people talking during class but something was going on so he asked what was going on back there. A faint voice replies, "I'm trying to listen, but these assholes won't shut up!" This was followed by a protracted silence, followed by Ray jumping right back into the lecture, followed by laughter.

With nobody sitting in my surrounding three seats, I read more Faulkner on the trainride home, but put it away shortly after Long Branch. Some kids, young teenagers (*so weird for me to say that, like I'm an old man) about 15, came on and took those seats. A ticket-person came on, for the second time that day, but one of the kids nervously explained he'd lost his wallet. Given this had come up before the ticket guy even got there, I believed him, and the kid got off with a warning. I was just trying to sit there, not paying attention, but they were doing card tricks and stuff. Eventually I got involved. The train stopped on the tracks, between Port Credit and Clarkson, for about 15 minutes, as tree had fallen. It stopped again after Clarkson, possibly to let a VIA train pass. The driver explained "we got a red light" and while one kid, younger than the rest and visibly annoying to even them, the poster child for ADHD, bemoaned how trains didn't have red lights, but I figured it had something to do with the switching station.

We didn't get back into Oakville until about 4:30 and I didn't get home until 5. I've been putting off various forms of homework all night, and in fact, all my life.

I'm not very motivated for school these days. What can I say? When was I ever?

Oh yeah, the pocket full of fish. At Union, they were giving out individually packaged salmon entrees. Not terribly exciting, but I took one and may someday eat it. I'm the only one around here who likes fish.

Originality is in us all.

Keep on rockin'
Scotto

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home