KK: Subsequent
So this was Christmas.
It was actually about as good as it gets and I was/am happy about it. I left off with us about to go to my mom's for Christmas-ish dinner, seeing the aunts and cousins and having lasagna. It was a nice night, very festive, lots of discussion in the round. We brought Hank. At one point I thought I had left his bandana at home and raced back to get it only to find that nope, it was where it should have been, packed with his stuff. Funny and very in-character. We laid out his crate pillow for him to have a spot and he stayed put mostly all night. The aunts had to leave somewhat abruptly so we didn't end up taking the picture that had been discussed.
Monday, which feels like a hundred days ago by now, Mel and I both had to work. There was a lot of pressure on the team since it had been a very busy weekend and I played along as if there was anything that could be done. Tuesday I logged on to check replen and earn my lieu-halfday. Then we wrapped gifts, actually getting everything taken care of during the day instead of after midnight. I said "for once" but apparently we did that a few years ago too, per this blog.
That night we went to dad's for the traditional Chinese. This was his year to host us on Christmas Eve as we've been alternating between this and Mel's parents. I'm not sure what we will do next year though, since we enjoyed not doing anything on Christmas day. It ended up feeling like a pretty long night, and we were able to keep away from controversial topics this year, although there was some discussion of some stuff that had come up at mom's, which led dad to reflect on her relationship with his mom, which... was not really territory I wanted to go to. In general I don't like to hear my parents reflect on their time together. The thing from both was that Eric was pretty burnt out, although he didn't work Christmas eve, but he ended up checking out from time to time to watch wrestling interviews on his phone (?)
It was all well and good and we were feeling good but when we got home Mel and I got into a bit of static when I was trying to take a video of Hank and I admonished her not to crosstalk too much and she was upset because it felt like I was scolding her like a child. I can't really say much in my own defense, that certainly wasn't my intention but if that was how she felt I can't blame her. I tried to get it resolved but it made me feel weird as we tucked in for our Christmas sleep and into the morning, which I spent tidying and feeling inadequate.
I needn't have worried. She was ready for a happy day, and we had one, giving Hank his gifts and then each other. I was worried I hadn't gotten her enough but of course it was fine. The funny thing was that Santa got us two blenders. I had a feeling. I said I'd return mine and I was worried I had lost the receipt but like a smart person I actually put it in my wallet.
Other gifts I received included a mystery trip we'll take sometime in the spring, and a "smart belt," which seems cool (it's not bluetooth enabled or anything, it just fits well and doesn't have holes that get stretched out.) Mel, meanwhile, liked the craft card I got her, and the necklace, although I had neglected to get it inscribed. Hopefully we can fix that. I also got her bibs, because we eat every meal on the couch and it does get messy. That was a big hit.
There was a lot of love to go around. After having a call with Zia Carmelina and taking Hank out -- it was a white Christmas after all, as more or less predicted -- I made dinner, another big hit. We had designed our meal after an episode of Beat Bobby Flay Holiday Throwdown we had caught where he teamed up with Jet Tila to make lamb, brussel sprouts and au gratin potatoes. I had gotten most of the components the week before, but had waited until Monday evening to get the sprouts, along with a bunch of other stuff to keep us going through the holidays, as well as a ham as my backup in case the lamb didn't work. For what it's worth, that would have been a nightmare because I would then have had to cook the ham -- which is small but takes 45 minutes in the oven.
Luckily, everything worked out, more or less. I was worried because the potato recipe called for them to be in the oven for 90 minutes at 425, but I didn't have that kind of time and I needed it to be at 375 for the yorkshires I was making. So I blanched the potatoes and put them in for ~45 minutes at 375 with the yorkies -- which were the only miss because they came out dense. Not sure why, I've made them before and they're usually good but my theories are:
* Didn't let the ingredients sit to room temp
* Didn't let the batter sit
* Used avocado oil in the pans instead of butter
* Had them in the oven with the potatoes
Okay, well, it happens. A minor miss. The potatoes were a smash (more or less my mac n' cheese recipe) the sprouts came out good, and the lam was cooked very well, if slightly under in places. We served with the chimichurri we picked up at the market on Halloween.
So it was great. No complaints at all, other than the slight miss of the yorkies. She helped clear the table so that Hankey didn't get up to eat our scraps. Then we settled in to watch Red One, which... eh. We debated if we were up for another movie but just decided to call it a night.
Boxing day, we bunkered down too, folding laundry and assembling the craft cart, once it was clear that we weren't going to see Mel's parents, who were busy. We had a breakfast of bagels and lox that I picked up on Monday, since we like the Bagel Barn version so much but it's too damn expensive to justify. Then we ordered Turtle Jack's for dinner since I had told her the night before that I wouldn't be cooking on Boxing day because of the immense effort and alos the quantity of dirty dishes. We watched Dear Santa with Jack Black, which was... another eh, and then Family Man. Mel expressed some sadness that Christmas was over, but she said it was normal to be sad, which is true of course.
Mel has been back to work today, which she is now regretting, and I've kind of been doing whatever although I haven't gotten as much of my preferred whatever as I would have hoped, there's still the whole weekend and three more days after.
This is not so bad and I really am feeling revitalized. Tomorrow we'll be seeing people.
Maybe this isn't my last post of the year but if it is, I'm at least ending this fraught and frazzled year on a good note. We had a plan and not only did it work, it worked well, and we're happy for the moment.
Keep on rockin'
Scotto

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home