BB: The Chaos of Order
I don't know what kind of day it's going to be. We've been sick all week. Wednesday, Mel started to feel well enough to do some work, while I didn't until Thursday. Sleep was difficult to come by for the first few nights. We've been in separate beds at Mel's request, a decision that has had a negative impact on morale because Hank seems to prefer to sleep with me and that leaves Mel very lonely at night. It actually feels like by Friday we had taken some steps backward on our journey back to wellness, which is dispiriting.
Mel, for instance, can't taste anything. At first I thought it was because she was so stuffed up, but after all this is a classic COVID symptom. It really seems to be bothering her. Meals, already difficult to negotiate, have become a very unwelcome chore. I've been eating hot cereal for breakfast, which certainly hit the spot when I needed something warm and digestible at the beginning of this illness. After making myself sick with too much green tea I switched to hot water with honey and lemon in it and man that has been working for me. A few nights this week we ordered food with mixed results. We ate a fair amount of soup until we got tired of it. Tuna helper. I made Mel a chicken strip on an English muffin with a fried egg on top and she seemed to enjoy it and wanted to try it again when she would be able to taste it. I hope she recovers from that soon.
About five or six years ago, I remember someone at work telling me about the concept of "man flu," about how men seem to become helpless babies when they get sick. I don't think I fit the profile for that. I don't like to be sick, of course, but I will do all the things I need to while sick, sometimes just flat-out ignoring the fact that I'm supposed to be sick. I've been out and around to the drug store so many times (always masked) trying to stock up on this or that medication, more tissues, something we can eat. I'm staying away from the grocery store itself because I don't think I should be around so many people and fresh food at this time, but who knows, we may need to. We haven't been able to be as attentive to Hank as we would like, and he's been acting a little diffident, preferring to snooze alone in the spare room rather than with either of us.
I've been reading the LOST book by Emily St. James and Noel Murray, which has been an enjoyable trip down memory lane.
I woke up this morning feeling like I may finally be reaching the last lap of this. The symptoms seem to be abating and softening and I could see feeling closer to 100% tomorrow. I don't know how Mel's gonna feel when she wakes up. My guess is we'll camp out on the couch and watch something on Netflix all day -- she had seemed interested in the new Kristen Bell/Adam Brody romcom series. For dinner, who knows.
This has been the transmission for today.
Keep on rockin'
-Ill Scotto

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home