5/17/2026

XVIII: High and Dry

It would be inaccurate to say I haven't had much time to sit down and write in this thing lately. Of course I have nothing but time. But I vacillate between manically trying to get as much done in the pursuit of my personal goals, and feeling disillusioned about those selfsame goals and reverting to doing nothing. All while trying to care for the family in my way.

I wouldn't say that nothing has happened lately, but it hasn't been a very eventful spring. I go on lots of dog walks. Mel is overworked. We find time on the weekends to spend time together. We have gone for coffee at Williams a few times, and once to Pur and Simple, our first ever sit-in outing there. We scramble to figure out what to have for lunch and then dinner. The weather has been struggling to get warm, only just yesterday starting to see about 20 degrees.

Last weekend was Mother's Day, which we marked with a brunch at Mel's parents' place. It was fixing to be kind of a fraught situation, since, with Laura's pregnancy, Mel is the odd woman out, but she was treated well and we actually ended up having a pretty good day -- albeit a long one, since Unc and Sherlie were arriving later so we ended up kind of having two meals, which was actually fine. My only issue is that while I was watching Noah, I let him tumble down the stairs and bop his head, and I felt absolutely terrible. Mel and I haven't discussed it, although Unc absolved me as this sort of thing happens and even Sherlie didn't seem too concerned beyond comforting the boy.

Friday, Mel had off for an extra-long weekend, so we went to Williams with Hank and sat on the patio. It was just a smidge chilly out there, breezy, so we didn't stay long, and Hank was antsy anyway. Then we went to the park and walked him around, partly so Mel could get steps toward a fundraiser she's doing through work. 

Yesterday was Brandon's birthday, but Mel had realized, the week before, that she had tickets to an event, so she had to miss it. She was definitely missed as she tends to foster conversation, but you know, we muddled through. Today we'll be at mom's.

Like I said, it's fairly uneventful. Just a lot of coffee consumption, bureaucracy (I got my RRSP changed over, literally a year after I stopped working at Indigo) getting the car fixed (every time we get the tires changed they discover something else that needs doing) and some writing and job application. I actually have a decent lead right now, but we'll see how it turns out. Absent a job to ask me about (which would probably not have much news anyway) I get asked about "my course" which I have been a bit delinquent in, but at least that enables me to pivot and complain about the strange invocation of "AI credits" in my learning path that I had never heard of before.

I also heard that my old colleague James was let go from Indigo, so we had a long talk about that. It seems like he got a raw deal, but at least he got a package. His only sore point is that his manager "won," but you know, getting that full severance after being terminated without cause could in some way be considered a victory. Perhaps pyrrhic. 

Yatta yatta yatta.

We've been watching old Degrassi as comfort food. I also came up with this scheme where we'd pick a random year and choose a bunch of movies to watch from then, and Mel selected 2003. So far we've watched Daredevil, Old School, Monster and American Splendor, plus 2002's Scooby-Doo because Hope Davis' style in American Splendor was giving Velma. Coming up: Thirteen, Gili, maybe Lost in Translation.

I think that will be my statement for today.

Keep on rockin'

-Scotto

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home