10/07/2005

G: Flavour of Blood

I was walking down the pathway this afternoon in the rain, after a dreary 4:00 lecture, the latest in a neverending series on Adobe InDesign. I was miserable because of the way the day had turned out so far, with some angst held over from last night. I'd left my umbrella behind because the rain wasn't that hard, but it certainly was raining. I was in my own little world, humming and occasionally trying to remember the words to Elton John's "Tiny Dancer." Around that point, headed into the forest, I noticed the girl with a tangle of blond hair down her neck just standing there. As I naturally would, I ignored her presence while attempting to check her out. As I passed, she cooed to me, "see the hawk?"

It was as odd an opener I'd ever heard, so I looked where she was gesturing, to the top of the lamppost, and sure enough there was a large bird of prey eating something atop that light. An interesting sight to behold in a region seemingly known more for robins and orioles... maybe the occasionally jay or cardinal. And seagulls... don't forget the f'n seagulls. But a hawk - an animal that was actually represented on Transformers: Beast Wars? Neat. What's even neater, it had been called to my attention by a cute co-ed. (Is it even PC to refer to them as "co-edS?")

"I saw it and ran to my car to get my camera," she said, snapping away. "Photography student?" I asked, she nodded. "Journalism," I said, gesturing to myself. I observed the hawk, and her taking pictures of it, before getting on my way.

And that, my friends, is why I'm no longer in a terrible mood. Because I saw a carnivorous bird and a girl taking pictures of it. It's little things, nice surprises that can really go toward cheering a guy up. I'm almost certain never to see this girl again, nor do I care if I do. I just thought it was neat to interact with a stranger for once.

So, despite not having such a great day, I am in a relatively good mood. I wasn't for much of the day, but am now. I think I'll do some writing and get some stuff up on Interneta, including several long-delayed reviews, and maybe a new Metaworld if I see fit.

As I predicted, I'm over what angst I was feeling last night. I had a little explosion, you know, but it was a long time in coming, since I haven't had a violent episode in months, so I was due. And really it could've been worse.

I was brutally awakened today, first by birds singing in the rain, and then by Max going insane. Finally I got him to be silent and slept another half hour or so.

I think I'm becoming a hypochondriac. Either that, or I'm really, really sick and I'm not doing anything about it. I need a check up to tell me I'm okay... or if I have leprosy or something. I just know it's not scurvy, not with all the Vitamin C- enriched Kool-Aid Juice Jammers I drink. I just hope my pancreas isn't broken or something.

It's getting cold. Or perhaps it was just cold because of the rain, but sadly I must recognize the fact that soon the nice weather will be eradicated and replaced by the icy deathchill of winter.

And that, my friends, is a depressing thought to go out on.

So maybe my last thought tonight will be of fluffy kittens and happy puppies.

And Clone High on DVD.

Keep on rockin'
Scott Williams

PS: Didn't remember my dream last night. Good sign.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home