12/29/2005

#23: The Spendthrift and the Swallow

This post's title comes from an old Aesop fable about not being able to judge Spring by the mere appearance of a bird. One of my favourite little stories as a kid, I really dug those fables even though they always had a moral. Those life lessons were actually a seeling point for a kid.

I figured the title was appropriate since the weather is so bizarre lately. It was rainy last night, just like it was rainy on Christmas. The snow has been worn to patches. The poor snowman down the block is now just a lower torso, if even that.

I learned something yesterday. I don't mean to sound like the most insensitive person in history, but I'm going to risk it for the sake of conversation. I hate other peoples' problems. THAT IS, when I didn't ask to hear them. Now, don't get me wrong, by going to other peoples' blogs, or asking them how their day was, you are implying that you care and are thus obligated to weather it when it turns out things have been crappy. That's why i don't feel bad for always complaining (also, because I try to make it as humourous as posssible for the readers. In case you couldn't tell.) Last night, I was at Dad's, and Deb's sister Sue was there. Deb is the woman Dad lives with.

Anyway, Sue's been having a lot of problems lately, and she is staying with Deb in order to get over them. Fine. But y'know I kinda have a hang-up about people being around when I go over to Dad's. I can dig it when Deb's kids are around, even Alex, but it's pretty uncomfortable when one of their girlfriends is over, since it looks to them like 'weird that these guys are here.' And Deb's extended family falls into a similar category, since she was obviously going through something very rough and needed her sister, but all the same I alternately felt like I was intruding, and that she was.

She spoke, quite in-depth, to Deb about her problems with her husband, and, it being a small house, I couldn't help but overhear every single word. And it frustrated me that I heard her going on about her problems - which admittedly, were quite severe - and just felt like I resented having to her them. So yeah, other peoples' problems suck.

After that, I went back to Cary's for night 2 of 2-night rager. This time, I saw Emma, Doug, and even Ryan and Becky made a cameo. Chris and I went out to get Doug and I was surprised to learn that Doug's family (I guess it would just be her mother and any sibling who is home,) now lives around Lakeshore. I guess I can no longer look out from the windows of the G-Wing on the high rise on the horizon and think "I know a guy whose family lives there." It'd have to be in past tense, which is not cool.

Anyway, I let Doug, Chris and Ryan in on the latest haps with the movie (fingers crossed, it may actually happen soon.) And I talked to Emma a whole lot... actually, it was mostly her describing unspeakably horrific things from the latest Chuck Palahnuik book... also met some new people, Willa and Sam, and found out what was going on for New Year's.

Oh, and I slept like a log last night for some reason. Didn't wanna pull myself outta bed this morning, even though I set the alarm so I'd be up long before I have to go to work.... grr, work. Bad. Bad work. Work bad.

I spoke to Alyssa for about 4 hours yesterday afternoon, too. Well, it was an MSN conversation that lasted 4 hours because sometimes responses would take a while... sometimes I'd be doing something, other times she'd be doing something, it doesn't really matter, it was just good to catch up.

Here's lookin' at you, kiddo. I'm gonna abruptly end this post and go take a shower.

Keep on rockin'
Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home