pt X: I already have a plan
It's been a hell of a day. Well, yesterday, that is. It began with the usual bowling, which was highlighted by two rally good dames and one that was utter crap. Then it began to get a little interesting.
Mom, in her infinite wisdom, decided it would be a good week to go to No Frills, because there was a $1 sale. Little did she suspect that if anything, this was an even bigger reason not to go to No Frills. See, I generally hate that store. It's full of pushy irritated people seeking deals and eager to leave. The atmosphere is not friendly: cold and clinical, with packaging displays of Life Cereal and Humpty Dumpty chips towering over you, and the decor of stark white and yellow, irriating your eyes from all sides, making you belligerent and short-tempered. I hate No Frills, but it was even worse when the lineups were so long that they extended into the aisles and it took a half hour to check out, because it was full of the same pushy, irritated (and generally older and odd-looking,) people, who were now seeking as many $1 sale items as possible, with ruthless aggression.
So, that was hell.
Skipping ahead to later that evening, it was the par-tay at Becky's for Conorton. I walked over at about quarter to 6 and was the only one there on time (we were told to arrive before 6:30, and I got there by quarter after.) aside from Lauren, Ana, Ryan and of course Becky herself, who was a busy little homemaker. People trickled in, and at last Conorton arrived, clearly not surprised to see us (after all, he's not stupid.) And the party got underway.
As usual, it was just a blast to see all the old gang. It's hard to feel separated from them when I haven't gone a month without seeing them in such a long time... in November there wasn't any significant reunion, but I did go to Mac that month, so whatever. And when it happens, it's like nobody's been away. Well, it evolved into the same two things that usually happen when the ole crew gets together: Cranium and UFC-style Shoot fighting. After one and before the other, there was cake.
In Cranium, the team of Doug, Chris and me managed to make it to the brain just as Neabel, Cary and Christine (Conorton's friend/ex,) took the win. The formerly championship team of Conorton, Patrick and Sonya was stuck in a definite last for much of it, proving that lightning doesn't strike twice.
I generally tended to stay away from the fighting, but the time eventually came when I was peer pressured into it, and grappled with Chris Brown. The result was that I quite skillfully made him tap by somewhat dislocating his shoulder using my new signature move, the mounted full nelson. I later defeated Chris Ferguson using the same maneuver and declined to fight Conorton, retiring with a perfect record of 2-0. So this morning, I'm a little sore, and I'm the one who fought the least. I know, you wouldn't think a bunch of drama kids would be into beating each other up, but hey, that's that. The most notable was Ryan Wheeler remarkably smashing Chris Ferguson's face into the floor for a definite KO victory.
Anyway, the prophecy that they'd have nothing to do if I didn't have the movie was eventually disproven; well, unless resorting to brutally strangling and wrenching one another qualifies as not having anything to do.
The evening eventually ended with everyone dispersing when Becky's parents called to say they were on their way home. We said the goodbyes and took the photos and eventually I walked home with the Fergusons and Patrick Visintini. Although obviously I had much farther to go than any of them, it was nice to be going the same way.
As a result of my going out, and Brandon and Eric's having gone to dad's, and Mom and Wally going out as well, Max actually didn't get walked last night as it turns out. Still waiting to see how tht one's gonna bite back, but oh well. And when I did get home, i learned somethnig itneresting about Bonnie: she loves the pot. Came home, the whole upstairs smelled of weed. But, she pays to live here, so whatever.
In times that are as stressful and troubling as these, I take comfort that my friends will always return. They can't seem to help it. Last night I had this really weird night that related somewhat to the night before, but in a very abstract way. One of those dreams when any imagery from the past few days will come back in the oddest way, and you can't make heads or tales of it.
But that's a lot like life. And you've gotta take it, piece by piece.
Keep on rockin'
Scott

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home