7/18/2006

XIII: A sleepy world warrior

Bsssh, I'm tired. I've not had much caffeine today, abstaining from Coke until 8:00 this afternoon, which is an excellent time to crack open a pop. It's late enough to relax and unwind, but early enough so that you won't be overstimulated when it's time to go to bed. Which I guess might be soon.

Today I proved to myself that my explosion of writing last night wasn't a fluke, as I got started fairly early on expanding upon that burst. I did a solid 45 mins or hour and really delved into where I was going.

Things are finally going along well over on this end. I've managed to get ahold of whatever Xena's constantly bitching about. Eric and I have been relatively problem-free. I'm getting work done and feeling productive.

I do know, however, that I never plan on having a dog when I'm older. I've often thought about it, and as much as I like dogs, I don't think I'll ever find a suitable replacement for the one I've got. Having seen Emily with Dolby, I don't have the patience or the ability to train a puppy, either. And then you've gotta live with it forever. Max, I've had since I was in Grade 2. We've got his routine down pat, and I don't feel I could accomplish that with another dog once he's gone. Plus, whenever I think of what a pain in the ass it is to feed Xena every day and respond to her every complaint, I want to blow my brains out.

Oh, she's not so bad. When she's relaxed, she's quite adorable.

So apparently, it's "World War III." Or not. Or one guy said it was "World War IV," which I'm sure puzzled billions who slept through the third installment. But I don't think this is a "World War." This is a massive conflict, but the reason why there were two World Wars was that they were being fought from all corners of the globe, over matters of European imperialism and diplomacy. And of course, the outcome of the first World War begat the second, and the outcome of that begat the Cold War, having thwarted imperialism and neutered the one remaining "Empire" (The British one,) of note on the planet. Of course, it has been said that America is the modern-day Empire, but what the USA is far transcends the blueprints for an empire laid down all those thousands of years ago (roughly two.) An empire is about conquering and maintaining a great deal of power within a border. USA has extend its power beyond its border to places where politically it cannot possibly rule. And I say it cannot possibly rule because their government - unlike that of Romans - is hardly effective within their own borders. So it's not an Empire. It's an entity. A lifestyle. An omnipresent, intangible essence, the spectre of Americana which is shipped over all seas everywhere. Culture. What's going on now, in Israel and Lebanon and the general confusion in that area isn't the same as what we called the "World Wars." Right now, in that part of the world, there is a great deal of chaos and destruction. It needs no exaggeration. 255 people have been killed - mostly Lebanese civilians - in combat restricted between two nations. No need to blow it out of proportion with apocalyptic doomsaying. If it's a War, it's not World War. I'm pissed off at the American pundits who feel the need to milk this baby for their fear-based economy. Fuck.

And what the fuck, "World War IV." That's ridiculous. Some people don't even believe there was a World War II. (Okay, that's not true, they just don't believe in the Holocaust, but be reasonable -- no Holocaust, no World War II. Yes, Virginia, there was a Holocaust. They host tours of the death camps.)

The world's in bad shape, but I don't believe it's beyond repair. I think there is goodness in the future, if we must suffer for it first. Or maybe I'm just a brainwashed Western teenager who doesn't really have an idea how bad things are elsewhere. Either way.

Keep on rockin'
-Mr. Scotto

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home