X: It had to come from somewhere
Somedays it's too much to bear.
Okay, melodramatic? Totally. I've been reading this book ostensibly about the Simpsons but also drawn along the thread of zeitgeist, counterculture, social revolution, etc etc, very high-minded stuff that incorporates, you know, the grunge revolutions, indy filmmaking movements and causes célèbres of the 90's, all the things that were cropping up around the time the Simpsons hit its stride (circa '91-96, and then leaping back and forth between that and 9/11 etc.)
It's actually quite a bit to drink in. I wouldn't say I'm learning anything, but it's giving me a great deal to contemplate. I'm being reminded of the otherwise-rare soft touch employed by Simpsons writers (especially in the early years) as it comes to satire and social criticism. Rarely heavy-handed (compare to the rather embarassing 18th season finale,) and always pointed. It's kind of helped rekindle my appreciation for the show, coupled with the recent movie (could it really have been as awesome as I felt it was? I'll have to see it again someday to make sure.)
More new anxiety about creation, about what I'm capable of and whether anyone will ever give a shit. I'm sure they will if I make it good enough. I have this weird theory that is proven wrong time and again that quality wins in the end. I don't know why that belief hasn't been beat out of me by the cancellations of shows like Clone High and Arrested Development... but it's still a safer bet than a shitty project. Who knows.
I have given some thought to putting together an e-zine of some kind someday. Not a PDF-style zine, but a website with magazine content. I would want it to be something that does not suck - that would be its primary function. To exist and not suck. It's one of those projects I might get really interested in and then abandon real quick, so I'll have to take my time and meditate on it. Like, for a few years.
Fortunately, as a former journalism guy, I'm blessed with a deep cadre of friends and allies who would be up for such an endeavour. If given the directive "Give me 500-1000 words that don't suck," I'm sure most of them could produce.
I got a head full of ideas that are drivin' me insane.
Restless. Bleh.
I have more on my mind, but nothing I can express for now. So keep on rockin'
-Scott

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home