pg 3: wtf are you
Work, music, a few DVDs, a weekly meet up with Amanda, grocery shopping, coffee every morning. Continuity. Stability. I'm losing my mind for it.
I'm not at the end of my rope, I'm hanging comfortably from it. I try to take the time to take in the world around me but I don't spend a lot of time getting down to business. A solid week of work exhausted me and got me out of my productivity zone and now I'm getting really vivid nonsensical dreams that are the middles of very confusing stories.
I don't like having to open, as I did today, and despite what I sometimes think, it's not really about who I'm working with, it's abut time. I don't like having to go to bed/wake up early for a shift. I don't like getting off at 2 and feeling like the day is pretty much gone. I like having a day -- as much of one as I can -- and then going to work, and coming home at 9:30 to realize there's still time to write, or do other things. Productivity has slackened.
I had a phase of writing stories last month. I was quite pleased with the work I did on them, and remain satisfied, although it's an ongoing process. I sent a large cache of them to Amanda to get her best go at a straightforward opinion. She generally liked them, with her main piece of criticism being the fact that many of them felt unfinished and therefore should be lengthened. Not hard to agree, as some are under 1000 words, although in some cases that's a stylistic choice I'm hesitant to deviate from. Anyway, it gave me some reassurance, since I consistently requested she be honest so long as it was constructive.
Been thinking about a number of different things lately. Top priority is no longer the stories, they'll have to wait. I need to get back to playwrighting, since we're going to be attempting to get the new play going again this fall, for summer 2011. I had a draft I was happy with, but that I knew could be better. Structure things, character dynamics, jokes. Writing is hard.
Anyway.
Been thinking about a few other projects lately. Big webcomic thing that beckons my attention, particularly as it involves the work of another person. I was also thinking of my old movie script, Summer at Sixteen. Not necessarily about re-doing it, just as idle thoughts on how I wrote it, why I wrote it like I did, and why it does or doesn't work. Structurally it's rather mature/challenging for something a 17-year-old wrote, although it's still clumsy in many ways. Could be more interesting, funnier, more dramatic. Could've been more everything without actually adding more content. But the fact that I did it at all, and it was what it was, is something I'm still pretty proud of.
Anyway. This is all by way of attempting to get it together. I've got promises to break, and miles to go before I... well, that was a half-assed parody.
Keep on rockin'
-Scotto

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home