12/01/2004

I: Drama Night Blues

Abbudsujufudah. I just* got back from WOSS Drama Night. (*been back for about 20 minutes) and I can't shake this feeling that I just gave a performance to a seething wall of hatred, rathern than an actual audience. To keep a large group of people in a room for 3 hours, well, by the end they're gonna be pretty surly. They weren't havin' it.

For posterity, I'd like to record how much of a fuckup this night was. I knew it was going wrong when Rosser didn't show up today... he was sick. Apparently, he was near death in First and had to go home. This left us to self-manage ourselves, and Mrs. Blair in charge of the tech runs. I don't know her very well, but I don't like her. The audience was clearly unenthused by the bland mix of Grade 12 Commedias, Grade 10 music videos and Grade 9 Bank Robberies. There was an occasional variation, but still... it was a dense combination that lacked variety (the problem inherent in restricting the night to class performances.) The whole night. it was a blemish, roughly the size of the 2004 "WOSS Fringe Fesitval" (aka 7 plays call it quits one after another.) The difference here is that I too felt the negativity. And of course, since Rosser wasn't here, that meant that the night was obviously not for marks, and the whole thing was just a time-consuming waste that wreaked havoc with students, bored adults, and annoyed techies. It was no good to anyone. And Mrs. Blair also, apparently, declined to take a leadership role in the actual production, making herself a member of the audience for most of it, and vacating the premises before the end, effectively leaving Mr. Margetts in charge. The whole thing has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I'd like to move on, but of course... there's not really much else to talk about. This was my day. I stayed from 3 until 10 just kinda... chillin', preppin', coolin' the heels. Nothing interesting happened at school (although I did learn the complexities of lettuce in Hospitality.) I re-read Maus part II while waiting to perform. That's about it.

It's not that anybody did really bad. All the groups I saw were good, especially all those Commedia Performances. The problem was that the audience didn't get Commedia. Should've foreseen that, but didn't. There were laughs, but they didn't see the full spectre of it.

Well, that's all my bitching for tonight. Keep on Rockin
Your Man Scott

2 Comments:

Blogger abandonmorality said...

don't worry scott, i get commedia, and i thought what i saw was pretty good.

8:57 pm  
Blogger Scott said...

Indeed, I heard from a friend that they sure don't skip on the Commedia over there at HT. I felt a little sorry for her when she told me that, because she had to go through it all over again.

10:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home