3/20/2006

15* Clang, clang, and clang.

The significance of that title to be explained later.

It's been such a good day, I feel positively electric. easily the best day of the entire strike; which is good that it happened, because it could be over any minute now.

It started with Ferguson's. They're back at school, naturally, so I tagged along as has been customary for the duration of the strike. Nothing too fascinating, just a lot of examination of the action figures. Then I went home for a spell and chilled, before returning to chill with Alex Korna and Robyn. This reminds me, I owe Robyn some K-Slice mp3s.

We went out to the mall and, as Alex ate a souvlaki, Robyn and I had coffee (it was bound to happen I suppose, heh,) and much nothingness was discussed. People who frequent the mall, jobs, Guthrie, College, anything and nothing.

But despite that being cool, that's not really why I'm so abuzz. It's probably partly due to Eric being back at school and me essentially having some sort of privacy/solitude at home, but that's just where it begins. This afternoon I sat down at the computer and started typing, and did not stop until will over 2,000 words was added to one of my ongoing projects, effectively bringing that portion to a close.

The project, without giving too much away, is a collection of related short stories. The first one, I started in September and finished only a couple of months ago. Then I hesitated before beginning the second one in mid-February. I was able to finish it off to a quite satisfactory effect, allowing me to press forward and potentially actually finish this. Completion isn't a feeling I've gotten in a while (although I got it through different means from Half-Past,) and my speed of work on this shows how committed I am.

I just feel like I've finally put the strike to good use. When Eric was around, God bless 'im, I felt so blah. He was there, sick, vegetating on the couch, and I really didn't want him in the environment to be able to write. Plus, I found the end of the story in the writing, which is wonderful. I didn't really have much of an ending planned when I started writing it, but managed to supply myself with the ingredients to find it in there once they were there. It's a lot like how Half-Past was originally written. That last line was not part of the original plan. I only found halfway through where I could go with that. Mid-creation inspiration is an incredible feeling.

So I will be updated Interneta soon. It mostly depends on how soon the strike ends, meaning if it drags on, the update will be sooner. I'm not ready to start revealing this project, but I have plenty of reserves that I can upload for your enjoyment.

That's where the title comes in. I was in the midst of writing, and I had this bit where the guy goes down a metal staircase. I wanted to emphasize it, so I described the sound "I stomped down the iron staircase; clang, clang, clang." Then I get the green squiggle. I check the grammar and Genius Microsoft Word suggests I change it to "Clang, clang, and clang." I loved that; foolish Microsoft Word. What a silly turn of phrase.

I feel so good. I no longer feel upset about the strike (since I know I can use the time,) and if it has to end, at least I did something of substance.

I've got my balance. "Winning at life," as they say at the Specialympics.

Keep on rockin'
The Scottwilliams

2 Comments:

Blogger B. Schatz said...

Please forgive me: my vacation wreaked havoc upon my daily readin schedule...

What is this strike you speak of?

2:31 am  
Blogger Scott said...

The Ontario Post-Secondary Educators Union (College Teachers) have been on strike for two weeks now, locking me out of school and placing my future in mild jeopardy. That's what I've been bitching about all this time.

9:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home