#16: The universe outside my window
Frustrated at my own lack of ability to be writing.
I can sit here for an hour typing out endless paragraphs. I could, if I wanted to, but I don't. I want desperately to be writing my fuckin' screenplay. I feel like an asshole for writing about writing it more than actually writing it but I am feeling - God help me and say it ain't so - writer's block.
It's just disheartening - Eric wisely has suggested I not waste my effort with a full length feature - the quality would be such that it wouldn't go anywhere, whereas quality is not as big an issue in short films (and I'm talking about picture quality here, asshole, not the quality of the film.) So I'm trying to think... okay, if a "short film" is designated 60 minutes or less, and the original stage version ran roughly 45 minutes... that gives me less than 15 minutes extra to play with. I don't like that. Yet, I'll have to figure out how to make it work. I'd rather complete the story, but if that's going to make it too long, then I guess I'll just do a filmed version of the play.
Which would be fine, since the play has a perfect ending (cliffhanger/punchline hybrid though it is.) What I'll probably do is write the whole script and maybe just shoot the portion of it that was the play. Bah. Creative direction is not my forte.
Right now, only a few people know about it. Of the original cast members, Ryan, Doug and Kyle are in. Chris Brown heard about it, too. Anyone who reads this blog naturally knows, and Eric of course had to be made aware, since it's his equipment I'll be using for production. I've also told a couple others, but there is still casting to be done. Well, I'll work up the nerve to do that next week.
Okay, I've blogged out my writer's block. I actually feel like a capable writer now, and I'm raring to get at the script.
Now keep on rockin'
-Scotto

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home