5/31/2005

#19: This is where I came in.

Today: a day like any other, I suppose. A bland, nothingness of a day wherein I accomplished nothing of note.

Yesterday, we had a dress rehearsal for the Breakfast Club. I'm really looking forward to the big show, which is tomorrow night (and Friday, but seriously... come to the Wednesday show, if you're reading this and not in it.)

Tomorrow is our first show (of two.) I'm really hoping that name recognition will sell tickets to this bad boy: who doesn't love the Breakfast Club? And now, people will actually know it is going on, since we made a huge banner for the Caf, basically on a whim. Mr. Milne is a cool guy: he's always supported Drama. I like how the arts programs always stick up for each other (mostly so that Rosser can utilize them, but this wasn't even Rosser's idea.) It reminds me of his insistence that we re-paint the once-green (now brown) bench for Half-Past Eight PM, as well as bracing the bottom so it wouldn't collapse, which he was kind enough to do.

Today I also presented my Vocab for Writer's Craft. I was a little bitter last week, because Jae, the guy behind me, took one of my words, Acquiesce (I already mentioned that,) and so I had to find a replacement. Anyway, it worked out. I've had all semester, pretty much, to mentally prepare myself, and honestly giving that presentation was the most satisfying thing I've done since Improv ended. I was funny, I was succinct in my teaching... I feel I did well. It was a good feeling to get up in front of people and do something once again. So I'm not exactly cold for tomorrow's show.

That reminds me of the Hamlet dream I had last week. Still haunting.

This morning, I also happened upon a strange scene in the hallway next to my locker: Rosser giving Shawn Crawford a stern talking too. Y'know, I like the kid, he's good, but he's got an attitude that I can see gets him into trouble in class. He made an incredibly awkward faux pas comment to Alyssa the other day about vegetarianism (he didn't know she was a vegan, I nearly died from laughter.) But bless 'im, 'cause I can't imagine what I would've thought in Grade 9 about all these Grade 12's (and super seniors) hanging out with me. I was incredibly timid kid in those days. I was, to borrow my own vocab word, such a nebbish. Oy! I can't imagine really relating to older kids when I was that age. Of course, I wasn't a drama kid back then. Mind you, I was known to chill with some of my brother's friends, like John Cooper and Bob Forbes, before I ever came to WOSS, but that wasn't my typical scene. I think I only saw Coop once or twice once I actually started going to that school, and naturally that doesn't include that time I saw him onstage as "Everyman."

Hard to believe, but tomorrow marks the beginning of the end, doesn't it? I mean, that's the end of Drama, which has pretty much been the constant in my 4 years of WOSS (despite my actual conversion to "drama kid" not occurring until the end of Grade 11.) I abnegated the Sears festival, partically because I can't handle competitive drama (how I ever managed to get through Improv, that's a mystery.) Still, it's the one place I seem to have made an impact on people (if more for my antics offstage than on.)

Anyway, there are more thoughts in my head that I don't think I have the energy to address, so I'll leave you, as always, with:

keep on rockin'
Scotto

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home