10/17/2006

2.2: We are only lines on a map

This post's title comes from a song by the Coral. Not sure if I've used it before. After 600 or so, you tend to lose track of the random titles you apply to each post.

I usually like to go to bed at 1. It's not too bright, because I'm a big fan of sleep and am reluctant to get up at 7 after 6 hours of sleep, but I like having that extra hour after the Daily Show and Colbert Report. Yesterday I was so tired I actually took a half-nap on an empty table in the Newsarium.

Setting down to think about it, I actually have a lot on my plate right now. Schoolwork is really starting to mount, and without my beloved reading week to settle things, I'm not going to get the refresher I'm entitled to. I have a Law & Ethics assignment, a new project for Newsroom without Walls every week, a poetry presentation (as well as the summative which I'm already supposed to be thinking about,) not to mention stuff I may be forgetting, as well as writing articles and doing layout on tuesdays, like today.

It was apocalyptically rainy today. Not thundery, just incredibly damp. From the windows of the Newsarium, I watched fog roll in over the nearby high rises and settle on the parking lot, before retreating, despite the rain not letting up all day. My shoe was squishy with water. "Splish sploosh splish sploosh," as I walked home under an umbrella.

Eric, possibly disappointed that I had taken the "good umbrella" (valid, since who doesn't want the good umbrella?) related a story of his using the other one. He opened it and, as it usually does, it folded outward. Apparently not feeling like lugging it around all day, he stashed it in a bush. On his way home, he retreived it. I was amused by that, because in the first place, I got the thing by finding it on the ground after potentially losing the good one. If I had not taken the good one, Eric probably wouldn't have found it - mom hid it.

My mind races. There is a lot to say these days, but I don't always want to say it. That's a dangerous line to walk, because I've built this blog up to where it is now by not holding back. Once I say "I'm not going to talk about that," there gets to be more I won't talk about. I've already done it, but I intend to go back on that in the near future.

I had to re-tell the story of what happened to Boogie Wear three or four times between Friday and today, which, I guess, is proof that fewer people are reading the blog these days. Not that I mind, or would mind if there were more. Maybe my days of being the most popular site on the internet are over.

Then again, there are always surprises out there.

I'm covered in mosquito bites. What the fuck? I wore shorts and was outside for 90% of the summer with hardly anything, but now that it's falla dn I'm indoors in long pants, suddenly I'm scatching at my legs and stomach because... goddamn mosquitos. Now I've got West Nile. By the way, if you Wikipedia West Nile, it doesn't sound so horrible.

I was thinking yesterday about NaNoWriMo. If I were to go back and do it again this year, (which, given my already-existing feeling of being overwhelmed, seems more doubtful every day,) I'd take a different approach. I have at least two full books in me, I know, plus the other halves of the ones I've already begun (not to mention various play, movie and comic ideas that crop up now and again, etc etc,) but the idea I'd want to do is one of non-fiction. Off the top of my head: "Booze, Broads and Bullshit: A Teenager Wanders Through High School, College and Minimum Wage," an autobiographical tome that takes a humorous look at 6 years of my life that were very interesting to me, but not so much to everyone else.

See, that's actually a terrible idea, and I can't imagine getting 50,000 words out of it, considering how badly I had to stretch to get that much from Melancholy Catatonia. Then again, about half the material would come from this site anyway.

I have to get up early tomorrow to work on a Newsroom Without Walls project before class. I guess that brings this blog full-circle. Scott Williams fears homework assignments. And I'm not all that keen on group work to begin with.

Just starin' another day in the face. Think I'll go to bed earlier tonight than usual. I liked this post. It wasn't about anything in particular, but it felt good.

Keep on rockin'
-Your Scotto

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home