2.4: He said no; with his foot.
Fridays are a hell of a thing. Before you know it, y'know, the week's over, and you're struggling to get it behind you.
I've been stumbling around in a daze for most of the day, just trying to get my head outta the swamp. The funny thing about Leslie's class is, yeah, I dig history and politics, and in the right environment I would really be digging her class, but on a Friday morning? The mountain of focus is a tough one to climb.
It wasn't even a bad day, though. I got a little work done on one of the stories I'm working on. That's a new one - going to be putting two stories in the same week. It's almost as if I give a damn about my portfolio. I think nobody quite understands my lassaiz-faire approach to portfolio-building. I'm not nearly as driven as somebody like say, Mansoor or, well, anybody else. Knowing me as intimately as I do, I understand this perfectly. My deficit of enthusiasm for pursuing a career in journalism is quite deep. Not so deep that I'm having an existential crisis about what I'm doing here, but my mind is elsewhere.
That's sorta my way of alluding to the fact that I did something kind of insane yesterday. At least, part of me thinks it's insane. The other part of me thinks it's the most reasonable thing I've ever done. Two envelopes. Twenty pages. 6 months... wallpaper.
So I've added a stat counter to this site. It will reveal to me - and really, the world - how few or many people are visiting on a daily basis. I don't know why, I've never been driven to know, but to say I'm not curious is a lie.
Joe Chammas has shown me the hilarity that is Demitri Martin. I've seen him on the Daily Show a bunch of times, and he will be doing a bunch of ads for Microsoft. His stand-up material is some of the finest stuff I've heard. He comes from the Mitch Hedberg school where you don't have to linger on a topic too long, you can just allow the joke to exist unto itself, without being part of a complex bit or narrative. Not taking anything away from other schools of stand-up... when done well, each has their merits... but most of the time I prefer the punchier bits.
I'm toying with the idea of reformatting the blog. DFon't mold me to that, I'm not going to be rash about it, but sometimes I consider reconciling my desire to vent about any topic I like (to "shoot," to use the terminology,) with my fear of being a site comprised of repetitive, random junk (well, the fear is that that would be a bad thing. I'm not sure.) Nothing major, but I'm going to look into it over the next few days or weeks.
I suppose that'll be all for tonight.
Keep on rockin'
-Scotto

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home