10/30/2006

3.0: A vacuum, a horse, two sponges. Go.

I think maybe Chris ferguson has the right idea.

Last night, Ferg philosophized to me about his future plans. He intends apparently to spend an extra semester at WOSS and spend the intermediate time in Europe. Europe sounds good right about now. I'm chained to the wall over here, man. Feeling claustrophobic.

I've got a story to write for 11-ish tomorrow. I haven't written it yet, because I'm lazy and unmotivated. It's hard to believe that I was like, all on top of the world and shit not long ago. Now I'm not low per se, but I'm floundering. Just sort of... yeah, whatever about everything, school especially.

Call it the fall blues, or blahs, or blows, or whatever. These blues give way to the winter blues, which transform into the spring blues, until the cycle is completed by the summertime blues, for which I am told there is no known cure.

(That was a song reference, which should show I still have at least some signs of life.)

Like I said, I really just need to get out and away. Of course, with a whole new slew of responsibilities, that don't look like it's a-happenin' anytime soon. If things weren't so fucked up, man, I'd be looking forward to my reading week for tomorrow, and wouldn't have to think about this shit. Midterms, done. Stories, nonexistent. Ability to do whatever I please, abundant. That's a world I don't get, but then again, it's a world most university students don't get so why should I really complain. I'm just bummed at how things can be at once too routine and yet too chaotic.

Scott's got a lot of things he has to take care of in the very near future. Scott has no interest in doing any of them. A project in each class (at least one each!) tests beside those and stories in each make for a full agenda that I am just not responding to. Usually when I'm overwhelmed I get uber-exhilerated and begin to be able to dismantle my projects one by one so that they're not problems at all. These are hardly problems to begin with, and I'm not excited/anxious about any of it.

My Newsroom Without Walls (that's dimestore broadcasting for those not in the know) teacher Brian was a little let down that we're not very vocal about what's wrong with his class. For my part, I'm content to sit back and let the teacher go -- we're the students, why should we know how the class should be run? Should the onus be on me to say if we're getting too many assignments? I don't even know why we do most of what we do, so how can I say?

The big part of it is that I don't think about it. I'm content to sit back, do what's asked of me, and accept my grade. In my experience, school works fine that way, has for years. So when someone asks what's wrong with it, I don't have an answer. Now that I'm sitting down and thinking about it, all I can say is that the teachers this year have done a less-than-stellar job (all across the board) of hyping their big projects and tests. Making me care whether I succeed or fail. Impressing upon me the importance of them. In short, motivating me and oh yes, most importantly, getting me to think something's important enough to remember. The exception, perhaps unexpectedly, is my elective teacher, Catherine, who constantly reminds us the importance of our final project and any upcoming assignments.

Maybe this makes sense to you. Maybe not at all. I could be right well insane, typing nonsense on a broken typewriter in the nuthouse. Seems unlikely though -- on my best day I couldn't write a scene as pointlessly detailed as the on I live.

Today I got Eric his birthday gift and gave it to him at the family function which featured the usual tossing around of babies. There was no drama between them today either, which is promising. Life goes on.

Keep on rockin'
-Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home