J: Oh how the ghost of you clings
Partial identity crisis and general insecurity notwithstanding, things are okay.
I was hanging out with Joe this morning. It was my day off and he's on reading week. He doesn't have class on Thursday either but he usually works, so the scheduling worked out in a remarkable coincidence. We didn't hang out long. I met him at Oakville Place at about 11 (a little late, I had to do some unexpected cleanup before I left the house,) and had a job interview at 12:30. When I got there, Joe was hanging with Andrew, an old friend of ours who can often be seen at A&W. Eventually, he split, and Joe and I just kinda hung out and chatted, the usual routine. We talked about his entry into the songwriting competition, and the passage of time, and he related the story of how he met Viki, which I hadn't heard in its full rendition before. It's actually freakishly ideal. Like, that doesn't happen to anybody, yet it did. If I wrote their story and called it an original, you'd just laugh and go, "Man, it doesn't happen like that. It just doesn't. This story is not believable and therefore not any good." But it's true and for that, good to hear.
He asked me about some of the stuff I've been up to. Of course he reads this. I didn't have many details about it; all I said was it's real casual, and summed it up thus: "It's just nice." He agreed. It's just nice.
I dunno, man. I'm really just trying to keep up. Modesty prevents me from disclosing, like, all the details, and also because it's damn complicated. I don't generally do well with complications. But still. It's just nice. And I'm trying not to be a jerk. It's hard.
After that, the interview. Hm. It went well. I stumbled a bit, trying to draw on my previous experience. There was one answer I did botch but she seemed forgiving. It would've been so much easier if Mike were still around but he's off 'til January. But it was still relatively painless. She asked me to name two classic movies, albums and video games I thought everyone should own. My answers were Back to the Future and Star Wars trilogies, Abbey Road and Exile on Main Street (thne I paused and said, 'maybe Let it Bleed.') and Mario 3 and Goldeneye. These aren't necessarily my favourites or the best ones in my opinion, but they're the sorts of things I think everyone should own and enjoy. But that's me.
The interview went positively and I left feeling confident it was going to work out. They'll call on the weekend I guess and I'll know then. Either way, I'm good. Actually it would probably be smarter for me to just plain not work, but a man's gotta take responsibility now and again. I've work less than anybody I know, (outside my family,) and while I don't mind that nor do I think I can change it, at least I know I'm capable of doing something. Every now and again.
As much as it made for an amusing story, it was a little embarrassing to get fired this summer because I was totally without options for new employment. It was really slim pickings and facing facts, my enthusiasm was not in it. The summer of wasted potential I called it, repeatedly, to anyone who asked. I explained partly why to Joe this morning. I glossed over some details, but no really important ones. I also told him that someday, I'd tell him the story of how I was once the other man. Of course I didn't have time, the story is about 4 years long. Well, with several timecuts.
I walked around town all day, got comics, went grocery shopping... lounged around after dinner. I've been re-reading Watchmen. This is one of the things I discussed with Gabby when we ran into each other. I know that sounds odd because she's a very attractive girl, but she said she was doing the same. We talked about how many people were jumping onto it now that the movie is coming out. The trailer before Dark Knight was very impressive indeed. It's even on the shelves at HMV. I think it's part of the graphic novel course at my school (still bitter about not getting into that.) It's interesting too because it's a very complicated book and not at all conventional. So who knows how much these people are getting out of it. I have to wonder about their reactions. I have to wonder if it will be well-received at the cinema. If the theatres are ready for Watchmen. I lent it to my dad recently, he seemed okay with it, although he still preferred V for Vendetta. Well that's his thing.
Life can be strange sometimes. All the time.
I can be stressed out at school, I can be confused my direction, fearful of the future, uncomfortable in social situations... but it doesn't really suck to be me. Things have potential.
Tell me, what did they say about potential? Doug? Ah yes. Capitalize.
Well burn my biscuits and keep on rockin'
-Scott

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home